Chapter 37

...... Seriously, what have you been working on since you were born?

Even though I had twisted thoughts, my heart became endlessly smaller in front of Gilbert Conler.

"I have never felt at ease under the pressure of a Conler. I stayed up all night studying, and I always make sure that I won't become someone who will tarnish our family's reputation....."

"......."

"I want to ask you if you feel that way, Mary Conler."

I somehow understood why Mary was called a nuisance in the book.

It's not because she's been spending her family's money, it's because she acted out of line with the Conler family. It was an act of deceiving not only the family but also those who love the family.

And I, who was reborn as Mary Conler, could not easily answer how much I love this family. Perhaps I thought... The House of Conler was just a place I had to go through.

Gilbert sighed deeply as if he had read something from my expression.

"The Conler is now the leading aristocrat of the Britina Empire, and has several vassal families no less than the imperial family. There are many young people in the territory."

"......."

"For their sake, we, Conlers, must grow up well. ......as did our father, Grand Duke Estin."

What does it mean to Gilbert?

"And it is the same with my other younger siblings who are studying at the Imperial Academy."

Throb~

Suddenly I felt a pain in one side of my heart. I don't think I am among the 'siblings' he is talking about. The damage was more considerable than I thought.

So far, I've only been told that I'm a Conler based on my hair color and eye color. And I took it for granted.

I didn't know I was going to hear this word, so I just felt stunned.

The ugly duckling fairy tale came to mind. I'm really an 'ugly duckling', and they were like swans. Ugly duckling struggling alone among elegant swans.

The ugly duckling was vaguely envious of the swans. Elegant and classy, as if they were born without doing anything. The ugly duckling can't have it, and the swan is just born with it. However, the ugly duckling did not know how hard the swans kicked under the water.

Leaving me with my head down, Gilbert went out of the library with the book he was reading.

"......Are you all right?"

A whisper of a baby bird perched my ear. I tried to reassure Rex, but in the end I could only smile weakly. I took a book, sat down and opened it.

It was a haunted book that I was reading back then. The ghost said to the crying child trying to kick him out 'I'm afraid of the light, just as you're afraid of the dark'

I put my chin on the desk and stared at the part.

When I first read it, I thought ghosts were pretty pathetic.......

Rex sat cautiously beside me, checking the picture book I was reading, and smiled a lonely smile. The story of a ghost who is afraid of light, just as a person is afraid of the dark.

I was fiddling with a fairy tale book when I felt a careful touch patting my head.

When I turned my head, Rex's eyes were about to cry, but his mouth was smiling.

"Whenever I was upset, my mom patted me on the head like this."

"Do I look upset?"

"......Yes."