Chapter 101

Grand Duke Estin was deep in thought, staring out the window at the garden.

He didn't appear to be aware that Lucas and I had just knocked on and entered the office.

Under the peculiar pressure of the office, my shoulders trembled.

The serious look Lucas had when he ran to call me earlier made me shrink even more.

I cast a quick glance at Lucas' way, but all he did was shrug.

I quickly turned my head to see if I had recently done anything wrong, but I hadn't.

But the heavy silence made me look like a sinner for no reason. I wiggled my hands as I stood there.

Grand Duke Estin, Lucas and I in the office were all silent.

I was tempted to ask him why he called, but I didn't want to disturb Grand Duke Estin at this time.

"Mary Conler."

Grand Duke Estin called my name after a brief period of silence.

I couldn't see his face because he didn't turn around, but there was an unidentified complication in his voice calling my name.

I carefully answered his call. After I responded, however, he fell silent once more.

I patiently awaited him to begin telling the story.

Grand Duke Estin finally turned around and looked at me after gazing at the garden. He came over to me.

"The Marquis of Bourne wrote a letter."

Marquis Bourne is Astina's father.

Why would the father of Astina contact Grand Duke Estin?

Given that you called me, I can assume that the letter was in some way related to me. It might be a story involving Astina.

What did it say that made the Grand Duke Estin's expression not so good?

I cocked my head.

Grand Duke Estin began to tell an unbelievable story.

"I heard that Lady Astina was almost abducted."

"W-what?"

I was so shocked that my voice trembled.

Astina shouldn't be abducted right now for any reason.

Astina has been kidnapped a few times as the female protagonist in the original work, but not right now.

"Thankfully, the criminal was apprehended."

Grand Duke Estin's statement that the offender had been identified made me sigh with relief.

She wasn't forced to suffer from an unknown as I was thanks to their ability to apprehend the criminal.

Since you yourself use the word "fortunately," I'm sure it's a relief, but why is Grand Duke Estin's expression so bad? Not in a bad way, though.

The person who attempted to kidnap her is who I was interested in finding out about. I'm sure there's a reason for that to happen.

Rex, who later turned evil in the original, kidnapped Astina, but before that...

"The criminal admitted that Mary Conler gave the order for the abduction."

Yes, Mary Conler did make an attempt to kidnap her.

No, it's me?

Me? Me?

"No way!"

From behind, Lucas, who was only listening, rose to speak.