Heart Of Darkness Part One

Three days later, Elena walked down the steps of the Salvatore boarding house into the cellar. They were visiting Alaric, who wanted to be locked up to keep his alter ego in check, considering that his alter ego knows where there was a stake that could kill the originals.

She was carrying a duffel bag with some of his belongings to make him feel a bit more comfortable in the cell he was in. When Elena got to the cell door, she looked through the barred window.

"Alaric?" Elena spoke.

"Yep. Still me." Alaric confirmed. Elena gave a small smile before opening in the door, Elena walked in.

"You know, you shouldn't be in here. It defeats the point of the whole being locked in a cellar thing." Alaric told her.

"Well, you still need the basics. Toothbrush, clothes, some boring books to help you sleep." Elena says as she dropped the duffel bag on the floor.

Alaric went through the bag, picking out a book as he asked "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?"

Elena picked up the book confused, saying "What? No, I grabbed...."

She then sighed, putting the book down "Damon. Thinks he's hilarious."

"At least one of us still has a sense of humor." Alaric replied.

"Are you sure that you...? I mean you don't have to be kept in here." Elena asked as she looked around at the cell to prove her point.

"Ah, no, this is...this is the right place for me to be. At least until you guys can convince my highly uncooperative alter ego to fess up to where I or he hid the white oak stake." Alaric responded.

Elena crossed her arms, saying "We looked everywhere. You....the other you, hid it well."

"What Klaus going to do if you can't find it?" Alaric asked.

"It's the only thing that will kill him, so wage war, murder people, you know Klaus stuff." Elena answered as she walked over to a chair leaning on it before she pulled the chair over to Alaric and sat down in front of him as she then says "Listen, Stefan is gonna watch over you for a little while. And according to Bonnie's spying spell she did this morning, Klaus knows where Jeremy is, it's not safe so, Damon and I are gonna go to Denver to pick him up."

Elena seemed to wonder if Alaric was going to object.

"Why do you say that like you're waiting for me to disapprove?" Alaric questioned.

" I don't know. Me and Damon, travelling across the country." Elena replied.

"I guess I'm more curious to hear what Stefan has to say about it." Alaric told her.

"Actually, it was his idea. He thinks that I have some unresolved feelings for Damon." Elena was quick to say.

Alaric was surprised by this.

"Do you?" Alaric wondered.

Elena paused for a minute thinking before speaking again "I guess that's why I'm going on this trip. So I can figure it out."

Elena said her goodbyes as she walked out up the stairs and into the living room of the Salvatore Boarding house. Stefan and Damon were talking.

"Speaking of..."Damon trailed.

They both turned their heads toward Elena.

"Have you ever flown first class?" Damon questioned Elena.

"Who did you have to compel for that?" Elena asked.

"Pft, please. I use miles." Damon scoffed.

He then waked past them to the door. Elena exhaled, obviously confused about the whole her, Stefan and Damon's situation.