Brea

Ethan's POV:

Birdie sniffles quietly on the other side of the guest bed.

Her back is to me like usual, but I can tell it isn't an invitation to spoon her like every other night.

I know she is upset about what happened today and her privileges, but I did what I had to do.

I rub soft circles on her back, leaning over to kiss her head.

I've been trying to get her to fall asleep, I can tell she is simply exhausted from today, but she just lies awake sniffling.

"...If I find a chair... will you talk to me... or at least cry to me?" She's been in tears all day and it's starting to get hard to tell what's from pain, exhaustion and her feelings.

Birdie finally turns around it bed, closing her eyes as more tears run down her sweet cheeks. I reach over and try to wipe them away, hating how they are many and gather on her face in salty puddles.

"Point to where it hurts, Little Bird..." She nods, lifting a hand to point to her heart.

My intention had never been to hurt her, but I know I have.

Opening my arms in invitation, I wait hopefully for her to accept my peace offering.

She nods and crawls into my embrace, settling her face against my chest.

My poor wounded little bird.

I stroke her head, hushing her softly.

"Tell when what hurt you there the most, Little Bird."

I know she's probably mad about her privileges, but she won't be mad forever. In a week it will all be forgotten and she'll be safe, safe back home.

"You said you can't trust me anymore," she gasps out, trying to control her breathing in her vain.

I squeeze her tight, realizing how what I said may have come across.

"I didn't mean I don't trust you. I said I don't trust you with yourself... that's different. I don't trust you to anyone but myself, Little Bird."

My tone is soft as I try to calm her, but it doesn't do her much good.

"You used to trust me though... trust me like that..."

"That was... not foot for you. This was the way it was intended. It wasn't fair to give you that responsibility. It was never yours to bear even if you wanted it."

"If you think it was your fault, then why do you punish me?"

Punish her?

The privilege thing?

"That isn't a punishment, that's realizing you weren't meant to have independence ... like where you have to take care of yourself.

"You don't know how. You can't do things in your best interest. It's not fair to let you have part of that burden with the knowledge that you're just going to hurt yourself."

She holds her hands over her face, covering her tears from me.

"I know you're angry because you really wanted this, Birdie—"

"It's not fair. I know you mean to do things for me, but I worked hard for my privileges. It's not fair for you to just take them all away.

"I want to be able to see my family when I want. I want to be able to go do things with them without you. I want to call you by name, have free reign of your office and our home—"