Goodnight

Ethan's POV

"I don't even know what you're upset about." I'm so confused and frustrated.

Just tell me Birdie!

She digs her nails into her hand.

Just communicate with me!

Things are fine one second and she's ballistic the next.

"I don't want to go through some stupid test! If it's not obvious that I'm good enough for you, then go collar one of the other subs you like!" Her tone infuriates me, but I'm too thrown off by what she said.

Other subs?

Weston appears from the house, running down to meet us on the lawn.

"What's wrong?" Weston intervenes. He looks to Birdie for an answer.

I don't even have time to process things before my little bird is running off.

"Don't talk to me! You told me I was good enough and you were wrong!" Tears pour down her face as she runs off into the house.

What the hell?

"What did you say?" Weston seems just as infuriated as Birdie and he doesn't even know what happened.

I don't even know what happened!

"I was talking to her about coming over like we spoke and she went ballistic, talking about other subs," I say, turning to follow Birdie.

Weston yanks my arm, "Did you tell her you are looking at other subs?" He sounds livid.

"I'm not seeing any other subs! I don't even know what she's on about. I need to talk with her." He lets me go, but follows shortly behind me. "And what was she pissed at you for?"

"Something you said. I want to know exactly what you said," Weston demands.

"I told her I wanted to come over to see how she would do on a normal basis. She's not a playmate, I expect more from her besides just her to consent. I told her I needed her to show me she was going to work just as hard as I was."

"It was foolish to mention playmates. You know that would make her jealous," he snaps.

"I was saying that she was special and not one of them!"

He curls his lip at me. "I don't want you talking to her. Go home," he demands.

"I literally said nothing—"

"She isn't upset for nothing. Did you tell her she wasn't good enough? What did you say?" He seems adamant I told her something to the effect of not being good enough, which is the complete opposite of what I said.

"I said nothing of the sort—"

"Then why does she think she's not good enough for you?"

Good enough for me?

"She's perfectly fine for me." I'm so confused and upset I can barley think.

"Well she doesn't seem that you think so."

"Let me talk to her," I plead.

He blocks the doorway of his house. "Do not make me call the police."

"Weston, at least let me clear things up. I never meant for her to think I was saying she wasn't enough." I don't even know where she got that idea.

"...Ten minutes," he relents.

I run up the stairs. Her cries echo down the hallway and my chest tightens.

Oh my Little Bird.