Lost and Found

Ethan's POV

I keep quiet when I see an unfamiliar car parked in front of Birdie's house. Birdie sways in the seat beside me, singing along to the radio, oblivious.

I'm grateful though. I don't know what to make of Mr. Astor's text, but I know something is going on and he doesn't want the girls to know about it.

"When are you gonna be back?" Birdie inquires, leaning up on her toes to peck my cheek.

"I'm not sure. Do you want me to pick you up after, or do you want to stay here with your mom and the munchkins?" Birdie thinks for a moment, playing with my hand.

"Well... weren't we going to... after work?" I open my mouth before closing it, remembering that me and her were going to play.

"We can play either way. I can pick you up after work. Let's do that. I don't have much for you at work. Are you okay with that?" Birdie thinks for a moment before nodding.

"Yeah. I'll help my mom with dinner and we can eat before we leave tonight?"

"That sounds lovely, Little Bird. I have to go. I love you so much." Birdie giggles gleefully, kissing me deeply as I say goodbye.

She runs off with her mom and the nieces, leaving me to head over to her house. I eye the foreign car warily. Of course it could just be one of his clients car, but from his odd text, I get the feeling this has something to do with the unfamiliar car.

I don't know if I should just walk in or not. Although I basically live here since Birdie doesn't like my house, I have never been formally invited to live here—not that I expected that.

I know it's expected of me to provide a home for my submissive and I am fully ready to. Our house is already up for sale and I've given Birdie the job to pick out a house she likes for us to go see.

Even with everything in motion though, I don't feel right just barging into Mr. Astor's home.

I knock and the door is opened but a moment later.

A man and a woman stand in the hall behind Mr. Astor. They seem very out of place and their body language tells me they know this.

The man stands protectively behind his submissive, his hand on her back. The woman looks around at all the photos in the entry, seeming particularly interested in them.

"Birdie?" Mr. Astor wastes no time jumping into things.

"With her mother." My eyes flicker over to the strangers with growing uneasiness. I do a double take as I realize the woman's lack of a collar.

Some male submissives are very protective of their mistresses, some even more so than dominants. The man wears no collar either though.

"Ethan... these are Birdie's birth parents..." My eyes narrow slightly, my skin pricking with adrenaline as I realize the threat they are to my Little Bird.

Birdie hasn't ever told me about her parents, but whatever happened, whatever they did allowed her to be hurt so deeply as a child. I don't like them, I don't trust them.

I don't want them near her.

"You must be Birdie's husband?" The woman breathes out hastily, trying to hide her timidness. She extends a hand out to me and I take it, bringing her fingers to my lips.

She gasps softly and pulls her hand to her chest, looking to the man whom stands behind her.

I feel slighted by her rejection, but I don't have hurt feelings over it. I want Birdie's parents to like me, but I don't see these people as being Birdie's parents.