Circles

Birdie's POV:

Ethan kills the engine, taking his keys out of the ignition.

I stare out at the empty playground, trying to talk myself down.

I feel sick, I feel like running away. I feel like this is all a mistake, deciding to come here.

Ethan gives my hand a gentle squeeze, pulling me from my thoughts. He doesn't say anything, he doesn't have to.

"We don't have to leave the car, Birdie..."

"We drove here."

"And that was a really big deal to even just agree to drive by here, Birdie..."

I close my eyes for a minute, trying to relax enough to make a decision because right now I'm too paralyzed to say to stay or go.

Children's laughter perks me up and I eye the family that has run up to the play set. Me and Ethan watch the family for a moment, using them as a distraction.

Something about seeing the park lively and not the abandoned or haunted park I have thought of it as, changes the feeling of all domineering panic.

It feels good to know that for someone, for a different family, for a different child, this park is a place for good and loving memories and is not a place that holds an event of great pain.

My hand slips from his as I reach for the door, ready to get out.

"Stay. I'll get it." He runs around the car to get the door for me, just as set on me not touching anything as if it was his car.

He closes the door behind me softly, wrapping an arm around my waist.

Ethan doesn't tug me along to the sidewalk, but let's me stand here, processing this moment as long as I need.

I have no memory of this place. The only familiarity is the memory of pain and fear from after I had been taken.

He wraps he's arm around mine, pulling me close to his side.

I feel the comforting effects of our size difference in this moment. As he towers over me, his biceps pressing against my smaller self, I come to realize how small he makes me feel.

And small not as in my size, but... differently.

I turn, lifting my arms expectedly. He picks me up without question, his forearm supporting my behind.

"Oh, Baby." I lay my head on his shoulder, clenching the back of his shirt in my hand. My anxiety slowly melts away as his strong arms hold me to him.

"If it's too much, we can go home now, Sweetness..." I shake my head. I can do it. I just don't want to do it myself.

"Can you please carry me?" He turns and looks around, moving towards the sidewalk.

I relax at his compliance, realizing everything is okay. When I'm in his arms, I don't feel as afraid, I don't become that scared little girl from so long ago.

We stroll around the park, ignoring the concerned looks from strangers as Master carries me. I eventually get up the nerves to have him set me down, so I can walk beside him.

My hands stays firmly clasped in his and I tug him towards the playground. Neither of us say anything as we find a bench, watching the family run around with their two kids.

I wonder if my nanny had been sitting here when it happened. I wonder where I had been...

A part of me wishes I could remember what happened, if I was carried and dragged away, or if they had otherwise lured me until they could whisk me away without a struggle...