Icarsis

Ethan's POV

I tap my pen on my desk nervously. I know she probably isn't even up yet, but I'm so anxious to hear from her.

Now that she has had time to reflect and let everything digest, is she upset? Does she still want to pursue a relationship with me?

My phone bings and I jump.

She doesn't text me, so I don't know why I think she would. My heart drops a bit when I see it's from Weston.

Weston: Birdie read your card—she is not upset. She will call you later, she just needed some time due to family reasons.

Family reasons?

Ethan: I hope everything is well. Thank you for letting me know. If it would be permissible and in her best interest, I would be pleased to take her out to dinner tonight or lunch this afternoon.

I hope everything is alright on her side.

Weston receives my text, but doesn't respond for a little while.

Weston: I'm going to send you Birdie's number, so you may text her and set up a time if she would like to go.

My brows raise in surprise. Birdie's number? I wasn't expecting to receive a means of direct contact with her until I signed paperwork.

I click on the number he sends and contemplate my message.

Ethan: Good morning, Little Bird. You can guess who this is I suppose. I hope you received my flowers and message well. Weston said you may not call me for a while due to family reasons. I hope all is well for you. Weston gave me your number, so I may contact you directly. As I am unsure of any details, I don't know if you would be willing or wanting to go out to dinner or lunch with me. I respect whatever you decide.

I sigh deeply, setting my phone down.

I need to stop thinking about this.

————

My phone bings and I don't even have the dignity to wait a second to open the message.

It's been several hours since I last texted her and I had began to think she was choosing to ignore me.

Birdie: I feel so horrible for replying this late. I intended to call you earlier, but lost track of time. I don't know if you still want to go to dinner. My deepest apologies, Sir.

I'm about to reply, but her number flashes across my screen and my phone buzzes.

I hit answer immediately.

"Ethan," she breathes out hesitantly.

"Hello, Birdie," I greet, trying to feel out how she feels as well.

My greeting must reciprocate her feelings because she immediately starts talking. "I'm so sorry, Sir. I was away from my phone and just saw your text. I was at my parent's house and Weston didn't tell me at all that you had tried to contact me."

"Please. It's alright. I'm just very relieved to hear from you... I was starting to worry." I don't usually talk about how I feel, but it is much easier to talk about it when I'm not face to face with a person.