Confrontation

Ethan's POV

"I don't think your request is completely unreasonable," Birdie's mother comments, looking to her husband.

I had not expected Birdie's mother to be on board with her daughter staying at my house.

Birdie's father grunts in disagreement, not replying as he continues to finish his dinner. "Play is very important, Charlie. It is important that they know they can play well together and you know it. You know how... enlightening our first sessions was."

Her master sets down his fork and gives her a stern look. I expect her to bow and apologize, but she just gives him a pointed look right back.

"Weston, whom I trust more than any of our children—no offense Birdie—I even made him have supervised sessions with Hannah. There is no way in hell I am letting my daughter run off and have some unsupervised sleep over session," Mr. Astor replies to his wife.

I sit back, silently watching them go back and forth on the manner. I have never seen a submissive argue with their Master before and it is both unsettling and awkward.

Does Birdie think it is normal for a submissive to talk back to their owner?

My grandparents were submissive and dominant and although I am sure they had disagreements, I have never seen it. In public, my grandmother always bowed to her husband, she never talked back or disobeyed. It is quite odd to witness a submissive and dominant arguing.

"I see your hesitation, Charlie, but—"

"I said no, Ellie," Mr. Astor snaps.

His wife purses her lips and bites back her words. I shift uncomfortably, clearing my throat. I think it is the end of it, but she speaks again, "We can discuss this later."

"There is nothing to discuss, Ellie. The answer is no."

"Well I am saying no to your no," Birdie's mother snaps back. My brows raise and I wait for him to slap her. He never does though and I let out a sigh of relief. I wouldn't want Birdie to be in an environment where that is viewed as acceptable.

Mr. Astor turns in his seat to face his wife more. "You can't say no to my no—"

"You're not listening, so I see no reason why I should," she says with a petulant shrug. He stares at the side of her head for a moment. She doesn't seem to mind his fiery gaze though. He taps his fingers on the table, clearly peeved.

"That's my daughter, Ellie—"

"That is my daughter too, Charlie...You know I don't often put my foot down, but this isn't about work, or school, or dinner, this is about our child."

I silently sip on my water, staring down at my dinner plate. Birdie sits beside me, watching her parents argue in fascination. This must be very new, or very familiar if Birdie is not so horribly uncomfortable with witnessing her parents fight.

"I'm sorry, Ellie Bear. Can you please tell me your thoughts on it?" Mr. Astor asks his wife softly, immediately causing her stern expression to thaw.

"We don't have to talk about it now, Master—"

"No, you're right. This has to do with our child and I am ready to listen." I nearly knock over my water glass in surprise at Mr. Astor's compliance. It is not often you see a dominant bow so willingly to their submissives, especially, in public.

I guess there is no time like the present, right?

"As for her sleeping over, I think we need to have a little bit of trust and faith in our children and their partner's character. Yes, we were home a majority of the time, but Weston and Hannah slept in the same bed even on many occasions before they were married.