Cat and Mouse

Ethan's POV:

Tears run down her cheeks as I fasten the branding boxes on her wrists. I check and double check them, making sure they are in the right position.

I try to work quick, having promised her it would all be done soon, but I can't rush this.

"Tell... me?"

"Tell you when I'm going to do it?" She nods, her fingers twitching, trying to reach for my hand although her entire body is strapped flat to the table.

I don't like lying to her, but I know it's for the best.

"Yeah. Just relax." She nods and I double check everything one last time, finally clicking the start.

Anxiety runs through me, waiting for her to start screaming in pain, for something to go wrong. Nothing does though, making me squeeze her hand even tighter.

"You don't feel anything?"

"No," she mumbles, still crying. I lean and kiss her head, praying the treatment would just finish up.

"I love you so much, Little Bird. I'm so proud of you." She nods and I know she would be exchanging sentiments of love back if she could.

"Can't..."

"Can't... you can't do it? Yes, yes you can, Baby." The branding box beeps, signaling the end of the treatment and she shrieks in horror, starting to sob.

"Birdie, no. Birdie, stop. Stop, it's done. Baby, please. Clam down." I don't want to hurt her, but I don't want her to yet herself, thrashing around like she is, trying to get out of the straps.

I want to take her out of all the straps, but I don't want her to try and touch her branding, or something.

"Baby, let me take it off. It's all done. It's all over."

"D-done?"

"Yeah, it's all done. You did so good. It's all over. I have to wrap up your wrists, but then we can go home."

"You... lied..."

"I... didn't want you to freak out like you did. I didn't think it would make a noise and scare you. I thought the light would just turn and I could take it off and it would be done. I didn't want to stress you more..."

Birdie breaks into more sobs, making me pause. "I'm sorry, Birdie. I just knew how scared you are. I just thought you'd be happy because you wouldn't have to sit and think about it while it happened."

She doesn't listen, continuing to sob.

"I'm sorry, Baby..."

————

I unwrap her wrists, examining the mark left behind.

My eyes go to her face, watching how the muscles in her face don't even twitch, her so deeply asleep from the medicine.

I snap on another pair of gloves, uncapping the burn salve to reapply the numbing to her wrists.

She flinched in her sleep and it takes me a moment to realize it wasn't from pain, but just her waking up.

"E..Ethan?"

I contemplate rewrapping her wrists, worried she will try to touch.

"I'm right here, Little Bird. Don't touch, okay? If you get that salve on your hands you won't have sensation there."

"Can I see it?" I hesitate for a moment, knowing how bad it looks right now.

"It's... not good right now, Little Bird..."