Mean

Ethan's POV:

"Sassy submissive you have," Mr. Kolo states as he comes in, taking a seat at my desk.

I smile kindly, still processing his words.

"My submissive? Birdie?"

"The submissive in the heels, serving coffee? She is yours isn't she?"

"Yes... she is mine. I apologize. I'll take care of her later." I'm too shocked to know what else to say. Birdie has been on her period, so she's been a little moody, but she's been perfectly respectful at work.

"Oh, that's alright. I put her into her place already, Ethan. Some submissives just need a little humbling."

"I'm sorry?" He puts her in her place already? I shift in my seat, puffing up a bit. Did he hit her... hit my Little Bird...

"I took care of it, don't worry, Ethan. Did you have my numbers for me?"

"Uh. Yeah. Here," I thrust them at him, standing to let him know I'm not quite in the mood to talk pleasantries. "Just look those over and shoot me an email to let me know what you think."

"Of course. I think your submissive will be bringing me in my coffee. I wanted to discuss—"

"I would love to, I had another meeting unfortunately. I have to be heading out soon, Mr. Kolo. If you'd like to schedule an appointment, Birdie can—you know what, how about you just call me?"

"Oh... of course. Sorry for stopping by unannounced—"

"No problem at all. I don't mean to rush you, but it's a very important meetings," I lie.

"Of course. Good day then."

"She's in the break room," Stephan tells me the second the door shuts after Mr. Kolo.

"What happened?" I was on the phone when he arrived and Birdie offered to receive him and see what he needed.

"He was very rude," Stephan frowns, pulling Lizzy close to pet and kiss her head.

I open the door to the break room, my heart dropping when I see my Little Bird.

Her damp eyes meet mine and she sniffles, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. I shut the door behind us, opening my arms to her.

She shuffles over, grasping my shirt with tight hands as she cries into my chest.

"Little Bird," I sigh, kissing her head.

"Why are some people so mean?" Birdie whimpers, angrily wiping at her eyes again.

"I don't know, Sweetness. I'm sorry, Baby. Did he make you get him coffee?"

She nods, "He said it was the only thing I was competent enough to do," she sobs and I sigh, squeezing her tightly.

"Did he touch you?" I don't care if he didn't even hit her hard, I'm suing.

"No, he was just mean. I'm competent," Birdie insists and I scoop her into my arms, kissing all over her face.

"Yes you are. You're more than competent, you're intelligent. Did you tell him to go fuck himself?" I ask her, remembering how she had told me to do just that when we had our first fight.

"No."

"No? Is that reserved for when I upset you?" I tease her, trying to make her smile.

"Yes," Birdie admits and I find myself smiling into her hair.

"I love you, Little Bird."

"I lo-v-ve you too," she hiccups, wiping at her eyes aggressively. "Is he gone?"