Walk in the Park

Birdie's POV:

A shiver runs down my back. I know it's not from the cold, Ethan bundled me up enough that I could survive winter in a snow cave.

"Do you think this is where I was taken?"

Ethan doesn't respond for a moment, squeezing my hand a little tighter as we continue to walk around the sparsely populated town square.

"No... I don't think Marisa would have mentioned us coming here if it was."

He does have a point.

I nibble on my ice cream, leaning into his side as we enjoy our walk.

"Thank you for coming..."

"We came here to find answers and you won't find that back at the house, Little Bird." He gently squeezes my hand, making me melt into him more.

"It's a nice little town..."

"You would have liked it," Ethan agrees.

"They don't have porches here..."

"Downtown, or you mean on houses?"

"Oh, houses... I like having a porch. Our house is much cuter." A smile spreads across his lips at my words and he seems to relax.

"What do you think it is like... not having a partner like you or me?"

"...You mean like not a dominant or submissive, Little Bird?"

"No... like... I don't know. Just the couples around here are different... I'd never pay for food even if it was just for ice cream, not even just on a date."

It was so weird, the couple in front of us at the ice cream parlor bought themselves ice cream, like they ordered and paid separately.

"True... here both partners are expected to work though, so maybe they aren't expected to take care of one another?"

It sounds plausible, but I would feel bad if my partner didn't try to take care of me. It isn't about the money, or buying me things as much as it is Ethan providing for me, protecting me.

"Do you like doing stuff like that? Buying me ice cream and stuff?"

A smile quirks his lips and his hand tightens around mine ever so slightly.

"Amongst sex, spoiling you is one of my favorite past times, Birdie."

I blush, I don't know why I blush, but I do.

"Do you really mean it?"

He chuckles now, finding my question amusing.

"Of course I do. It would drive me insane if I couldn't ever spoil you by taking you out to eat, or clothe you in the nicest of everything, Little Bird."

"I love you—not because you buy me things or stuff like that... but because you care, so much."

He lifts my fingers to his lips, kissing the back of my hands gently before imprisoning it back in his.

We find a bench and he has me sit next to him, curled up under his arm as it drapes over my shoulder.

"We can't have sex again tonight..." He shouldn't sound as serious as he does. He's never turned down sex before and I doubt now he would be making a habit of it.