Coffee

Birdie's POV

Ethan strokes my back, his hand constantly petting me, coaxing me to relax. His chest rumbles when he speaks, sending vibrations through my whole body.

"You hungry, Little Bird?" I glance up at him and the corners of his lips tug upwards. He chuckles and jots down a few more things on the sheet he is working on. "You've been quiet for quite some time now, Birdie. Are you just tired?"

Tired and a little on edge still.

I didn't feel comfortable sitting on his lap during his meeting, so I opted to lay in my bed which was nice. It really is comfy, but I like sitting in his lap much more.

I have to admit, I didn't think he'd let me cuddle up to him at work despite his assurance that not much would change between us even in a professional setting.

"I'm okay, Master Ethan." He hums, setting down his pen. He cups my chin, pulling me to look at him.

I'm taken aback by the action, letting him search for whatever he is looking for. His thumb caresses my jaw bone for a moment before he releases my face completely.

"Will you make me a cup of coffee? Black, no cream please." I nod at his request, ignoring the oddities in his behavior.

"Of course, Master Ethan... is there anything else I can get you?" The corners of his lips twitch upward again and a kiss is placed on my cheek.

"Perhaps a tea for yourself to keep you calm, Little Bird. I will tend to you fully after work."

"I'm perfectly alright, Master Ethan..." He gives me a pity smile and I shut my mouth, not bothering to argue with his unspoken disagreement. "...Yes, Master Ethan."

I shut his office door quietly, wincing when the clicking of the door draws the attention of the two dominants working.

A soft squeaking catches my attention and I look down to see Lizzy chewing on what appears to be a squeaky toy.

She smiles at me, toy still in her mouth. I give her a soft smile, scurrying to get Ethan his coffee.

In this moment, I am very grateful for my mother being so insistent on teaching me how to make coffee and then serve it to my dominant.

I think I would find myself much more nervous and lost if my dear mother had not prepared me for such a moment.

I make myself a cup of tea as well as he had said and carry both cups into his office. My hands shake, the liquids sloshing around dangerously in their cup.

I keep my eyes down, too fearful of tripping and ruining the carpet.

I set my own cup of tea down, rounding his desk to come beside him. A step away from his chair I kneel, offering him his coffee above my head with both hands.

Silence fills the room for a moment and my mind runs in circles thinking back to my mother's lessons. I don't think I've done anything wrong. I'm not good at protocol or etiquette, but I thought he would appreciate it if I tried for him.

He sets his pen down, finally taking the cup from me.

"You're very well trained in protocol for not liking it..."

The tension in my shoulders leaves and I sigh in relief. "Thank you, Master Ethan." I sit back on my calves, looking up at him.

A small smirk quirks his lips as he sips his coffee, looking down at me. It would be improper to have moved without his dismissal were we abiding to strict protocol, but he doesn't correct me, knowing how I feel about it.