Chapter 16

Chapter 16 - truth

5th December 1977

After the Halloween ball, Rosaline was actively trying to avoid three people: Sirius, Mulciber, and Steven. She was still avoiding Sirius because she was not ready to talk about whatever was between them. As for why she would steer clear of Mulciber, that was because she valued her life. Mulciber made it very clear that he would want nothing better than to cause Rosaline pain. He had already tried cursing her with a sickly yellowish spell, but she was too quick for him, she responded by hexing him with a spell that caused explosive diarrhea on the spot. This didn't stop Mulciber from attempting to curse her, it had only heightened his desire to torture her. And the reason why she was staying away from Steven was that she wanted to break up with him, but she didn't want to deal with the aftermath. She could already imagine how heartbroken Steven would be when she told him and he would hate her for playing with his heart. Rosaline was so determined to avoid Steven, she deliberately set off ten dungbombs in Mcgonagall's classroom just to get a month of nightly detention. However, after a month of cleaning every single room in the castle, Rosaline decided that she had enough of this, she had to break it off with Steven.

After breakfast, she bumped into Steven on her way to her dormitory. He hugged her immediately and told her that he missed her. Rosaline's heart was sinking, a part of her wanted to delay breaking up with him, the other part told her that she should just get on with the truth. She decided to listen to the latter.

"Listen, Steven, we need to talk," Rosaline avoided looking at him.

"Of course, love, what about?" Steven said, his eyes slightly widening.

Rosaline pulled him aside, "Our relationship. It hasn't been going well for me."

"What?" Steven said incredulously.

"I want to take a break from dating. There are too many things going on for me and I need a break." Rosaline answered slowly.

"You need space? Yeah, I can give it to you." Steven immediately responded.

"No, it's just not it," Rosaline closed her eyes, "I really need a break from dating. We need to break up."

"Was it something that I've done?" Steven asked, his voice cracking slightly.

"No!" Rosaline replied, "No, you are a wonderful person with a kind soul. You deserve someone better than me. I'm a mess, I come with so much baggage, I am not the angel that you see. I am damaged, I have so much darkness in me, I will only drown the light out of you if we are together."

"Then tell me! We can make it through together!" Steven cried desperately.

"I can't. I'm not ready to. Please, I'm sorry. We have to break up." Rosaline said with her eyes filled with tears.

"But I love you. I thought we are going so well. On the day of the Halloween ball, I truly fell in love with you. I should've told you then." Steven held her hands, his eyes begging her.