Chapter 52

Chapter 52 - warfare

12th March 1979

Over the past month, Rosaline was trying to balance work and devising plans to end the war. She took Regulus's advice and talked to her grandfather about the Death Eater situation. She was happy to find out that he and his allies were slowly boycotting Death Eater-associated families politically and financially. From what she was told, the Lestranges had a successful business in selling plant-based potion ingredients, but the Blacks, the Potters, and a couple of their allies managed to strike up deals with major potion manufacturers and apothecaries to not buy from the Lestranges. From what she heard from the Goblins, the Lestranges' finance had been plummeting since then.

After her talk with her grandfather, she and Harry received a missive from Lord Black, asking them to prepare a list of future Death Eater names and their crimes and that they were scheduled to meet with Lord Black himself today. Rosaline, ever the perfectionist, wanted to look as well-prepared as possible in front of Lord Black. Instead of preparing just a list of names and crimes, she spent days and nights writing out a whole timeline, including important events and deaths.

At around 6 in the early morning, Rosie's eyes popped open after suddenly remembering something - she had forgotten to mention that Bellatrix had also killed Tonks in her timeline. She sat up slowly and looked to Regulus's side of the bed and saw that he too was sitting up, with his back facing her.

"Reg?" she said hoarsely.

"Rose, you're awake too," Regulus remarked without turning to look at her.

"What's wrong, Reg?" Rosaline asked. She noticed that he had been in a depressing mood lately. Ever since Sirius's birthday, Regulus was often summoned to see Lord Black early in the morning and would not return until the evening. Rosaline observed that he was frowning more and speaking less as these meetings went on. She tried to investigate why he was acting like that, but he was very guarded.

"Nothing, I just woke up 'cause I want to piss," he stood up and walked through their bedroom door.

Rosaline's heart sank as she watched him leave the room. Her gaze still lingered at the door, wishing Regulus would tell her what went wrong instead of hiding. She let out a sigh and walked to her table. She quickly scribbled killed Tonks (May 1998) next to Bellatrix's name.

After she had written that down, Regulus had still not yet returned. Instead of going back to bed, Rosaline walked out of her room to look for him, poking her head into every room to check, but it left her disappointed every time. She finally walked out of her house in her thin purple nightgown into the chilly morning wind. There he was, sitting in the garden swing, slightly rocking back and forth. The sun had not fully risen yet, Rosaline could not see his face under the dim light, but she made her way to him all the same.

"Reg, may I sit?" Rosaline put her hand on the swing to still it.

Regulus, for the first time in the morning, looked at her. After a moment of hesitation, he scooched to the left of the swing, silently allowing Rosaline to sit down.