Chpater 59

Chapter 59 - Interlude: Regulus

12th April 1979

Regulus followed Lord Black into his office. He didn't know what to expect and didn't know why his Grandfather would want to speak to him privately. His grandfather never liked him, most of the time when they spoke one-to-one, he always ended up losing his temper on Regulus, saying how Sirius would do a better job than he could. He had been seen as the spare his whole life, sure, he was not happy about that, but he couldn't exactly blame Sirius for being the firstborn or being stronger. So, usually, he just swallowed his pride and accepted it.

He was preparing to do the same this time. But surprisingly, what came out of Lord Black's mouth surprised him, "Regulus, I have a special task for you."

Regulus suppressed a gasp. He widened his eyes a little bit, trying to keep his excitement unnoticeable, he asked quietly, "Why can't Sirius do it?"

"He is in charge of other things."

"Like what?" He blurted out, failing to suppress his curiosity.

"I have already told him in confidence," his grandfather answered shortly and Regulus knew not to push.

"So, what is the task for me?"

"I want you to take the Polyjuice potion," Lord Black handed Regulus a purple potion.

Regulus opened the lit of the flask, took a sniff at it, and frowned, "It doesn't look like the Polyjuice potion."

"What should Polyjuice potion look like, Regulus?" Lord Black rolled his eyes.

"It changes depending on the nature of the person to be imitated," Regulus answered with his eyes cast down.

"Correct. You will be imitating someone that no Death Eater has seen before. I have already picked an identity for you. Now, will you just take it?"

He still had his doubt, but he thought that his grandfather wouldn't poison him, so maybe he was just overthinking. He sniffed the flask again and found it odorless, just like the Polyjuice potion. This may after all be just what his grandfather had described then. So, he brought the flask to his lips and drank it.

As soon as he swallowed the potion, it started to take effect. Instead of the burning sensation that he was expecting, he just felt tired. His eyelids started to feel heavy, and his mind became hazy. Within ten seconds, he closed his eyes and knew no more.

Regulus was feeling cold all of a sudden. He still had his eyes closed, mindlessly pulling the blanket up to cover more of his body.