Chapter 19

Chapter 19 - ring

Chapter 19 - ring

27th December 1977

Christmas had been peaceful and quiet compared to the previous night. After the Yull ball at the Blacks, Lord Black found Regulus leaning on Rosaline's shoulder sleeping. Rosaline woke him gently and when he opened his eyes, he felt embarrassed. It turned out he too was under the influence of alcohol and had revealed to Rosaline more than he should have. Before leaving for Grimmauld Place with his parents, he begged Rosaline not to mention the night's event to anyone. Unlike the last time, Rosaline chose to keep her word, she didn't want to wound him more than he already was.

On Christmas Day, the Potters didn't celebrate much other than having a fancy dinner and singing Christmas carols. James and Sirius spent most of the day hanging out with their friends somewhere in London, while Dorea dragged Charlus to a wizarding Christmas sale. Harry and Rosaline, on the other hand, decided to stay in the Manor, as they wanted to formulate a plan to get the Gaunt ring. After some research, they decided to retrieve it on the 27th.

At 6 am on 27th, Rosaline and Harry snuck down from their room into the kitchen. They swiftly grabbed breakfast and their backpack and disapparated to Little Hangleton. Rosaline cast a disillusionment charm on both of them and proceed into the woods.

"Point me, Gaunt Shack," Rosaline whispered. They followed the direction Rosaline's wand was pointing at and after about ten minutes, they saw a shabby house oozing with dark magic.

The exterior of the house was very filthy. Anyone in their right mind would not approach such an establishment, but Rosaline and Harry were on a mission. Rosaline cast a couple of detection spell to see what kind of curses they would be facing. She found out if anyone entered the shack, they would first be subjected to something equivalent to the Cruciatus curse, then if they had touched anything, their skin would start peeling off slowly and painfully, lastly, they would be under compulsion to touch the cursed ring. She told Harry about the curses and they started to disable all the wards. After about two hours, they were successful in tearing down the skin peeling and Cruciatus ward, but not the compulsion one.

"I'm going in," Harry announced. When Rosaline shook her head and started to protest, he continued, "We both know that I have stronger willpower. I need you to stand outside the house to stop me from touching the ring, stun me if you have to."

Rosaline nodded reluctantly and before Harry entered the shack, she quickly conjured up a pair of dragon-hide gloves for him, thinking if Harry was compelled to touch the ring, at least his skin would not be making direct contact with it. Although, she wasn't sure if her plan was bulletproof. She watched with agitation as Harry stepped into the shack and levitated a loose floorboard. He picked up a golden box and started to walk out of the house. After he passed through the door once again, he made a sudden movement to open the box.

"No!" Rosaline shouted and she slapped the box out of Harry's hand. But Harry merely knelt and began to pursue the box. 

"Confundo!" Rosaline muttered hurriedly, "The item on the ground is a brick, it can't be opened." She tried confunding Harry.