Chapter 37: Rumors

Disclaimer: I own Elizabeth, all the rest of the characters unless otherwise noted do not belong to me.

~Can you please respect my privacy

Why can't you just let me

Do the things I wanna do

I just wanna be me

I don't understand why

Would you wanna bring me down

If I'm only having fun

I'm going live my life

(not the way you want me to)~

(Lindsay Lohan)

On the Upper East Side all the worlds a stage and the men and women merely players. But once a year Constance St Jude's students shed their usual roles and take on new ones for the senior class play. This year's pic 'The Age of Innocence.' Before 'Gossip Girl' there was Edith Wharton and how little has changed. The same society snobs still reigned only in corset and horse-drawn carriages.

Elizabeth sat in front of the mirror putting on makeup for her part in 'Age of Innocence'. Blair sat in the chair next to her.

"When I saw the 'Age of Innocence' with Daddy I always pictured myself as Winona, but playing the stronger, more emotionally complex female lead just feels so right. Dorota, hairpin" Blair say she got up and walked across the room and left the room running into Nate.

"Wow, look at you?" he said "You're a beauty in ancient clothes"

"I feel like I would have fit in perfectly in this era" she said twirling

They walked up onto the stage and spotted Vanessa

"What are you doing here Vanessa?" Nate asked.

"Doing a documentary on you guys"

"Why?"
"Oh no" Elizabeth said and Nate looked at her. "You did it, now you much listen."

"Are you kidding? A high school forks out a small fortune to stage a play. Hires a Broadway's hottest up-and-coming director"

"Who happens to be attractive?"

"Hey" Nate said.

"No one is cuter than you" she said kissing him.

"That means you've got wealth, privilege, atrocious acting. And the fact that you're doing the 'Age of Innocence'. That's just the icing on the cake"

"It's the most boring book" Nate said

"You've never read it"

"We're trying movie form" Elizabeth said. "We tried the book but no such luck"

"A boring one too"

"It's a beautiful one." She said "And because I love you I'm not forcing you to read the book again just watch the movie with me"

"Fine because I love you I will do it"

"You two are the most-cheesy yet adorable couple I know" Vanessa said.

"We try" Nate said.

After dress rehearsal she met with Nate in the hallway.

"I am starving" she said kissing him.