Count Backward from Ten.

Christian~

The kitchen light is already on as I get into the house. Kicking my shoes off, I push them to the side, heading in after locking the door behind me. JJ must've been at least trying to wait up. "JJ?" I call, quieter than I would've any other time. She's had a rough couple of days. I don't blame her for not being able to wait up. It is a little after one the way it is.

Glancing at the pizza box on the island, I open the lid and find the two pieces missing as I take one of my own. The box being left out is only further evidence that she was at least trying to wait up. Eating as I put the box into the fridge, I head out of the kitchen, shutting the light off behind me as I get into the living room. The glow from the TV is the only light on in the room as the murmur of the conversations on the show fills the silence that would've been expected at this time of night.

Just over the top of the couch is the silhouette of JJ's hair, tied up in a bun on top of her head. Chuckling to myself, I make my way over. Finding the remote on the coffee table, I take it as I sit down, shutting off the TV before trying to wake my wife. "JJ," I say quietly, resting my hand on her knee. She's curled up into herself, her legs tucked to her chest, while her left arm is wrapped around them, her right arm is tucked to her chest in a sling. "Hey," I add, shaking her knee gently.

She stretches a moment, her eyes pinch together a moment before she winces, trying to stretch out her right arm. "Fuck," She mumbles quietly, taking another moment before finally opening those beautiful hazel eyes of hers. It takes her a moment to adjust before she finally meets my gaze, "Hey."

"Hey, beautiful," I reply, rubbing my thumb gently as I hold her knee. "You're not very good at waiting up."

"Sorry," She replies, a small smile on her face, "I'll try to do better next time."

"Good," I tease, chuckling along with her. "Ready to head up to bed."

JJ nods, holding her left hand out to me to help her up. Taking it gently, I help pull her up, not that she'd ever really need my assist. Once she's on her feet, she wraps her good arm around me, holding me tightly to her, as best as she can anyway, given the sling. Holding her tightly to me, I'm careful not to do anything that'd hurt her shoulder. God, I've missed this. Kissing the top of her head, I continue to hold her to me, grateful as hell that I get to have her home even if I wish the circumstances were different.

Looking up to me, JJ pouts her lips out, inviting me to close the space in between us. Getting to kiss her for the first time in three months feels like a weight has been lifted off of me. I don't have to miss her anymore. Instead, she's right here with me where she belongs.

JJ breaks away first, whispering, "I love you," before kissing me once more. It's quick and gentle, but I'd never complain.

"I love you too," I tell her, kissing her forehead now before continuing, "Wanna head to bed?"

"Yeah," She replies, a smile on her face as she grins up at me. Taking her left hand in mine, I return her smile before leading the way up to our room.

Shutting the door behind us, I slip my hoodie off, letting go of JJ for the first time now to get ready for bed. JJ heads for the bathroom right away as I plug my phone in, letting it rest on the nightstand beside my bed. Grabbing a pair of shorts out of my drawer, I change as JJ comes out of the bathroom, her toothbrush still in hand. Taking my turn in the bathroom, I leave the door open as JJ grabs whatever she's wearing to bed.

As I start peeing, JJ laughs, coming back into the bathroom to spit out her toothpaste in the sink, "Are we really doing this now?"

"What?" I ask, chuckling with her as I finish.