Futures Changed.

Jailyn~

Holding my curl together, all I can do is hope that it retains its shape when I let it go. In the past five years of people doing my hair, I'm still somehow the only one who seems to struggle making it do what I need. Grabbing the bottle of hairspray off the vanity, I apply a generous layer, knowing it's probably not going to stay by the end of the night. 

Grabbing the last strand of my hair, I wrap it around my curling iron before my music cuts off and my phone vibrates, showing an unknown number. After finishing wrapping my piece of hair, I accept the call. Tapping the speaker button, I continue on my hair as I answer, "Hello?" 

"Hey, this is Jailyn, right? It's Chase." As in Maddy's Chase?

"Hey, yeah, it's me. What's up, Chase?" Furrowing my brows slightly, I glance at the number on my screen again. Why is he calling me but not Maddy? "Everything okay?" 

"I, uh, I don't really know," Chase replies. His anxiety seems to come across a lot more the more he's talking, "Something happened, we don't know." 

"Is Maddy okay? What happened?" I ask, forgetting about my hair as I set everything down and pick up my phone. 

"I don't know, Jai," He replies, "Maddy just called me and told me to call you. I'm on my way to pick her up now and take her to the hospital." The hospital? Maddy's only eighteen weeks right now. It's not like she'd be in labor. 

"The hospital?" I ask, immediately concerned, "What do you mean? She's like eighteen weeks?" 

"Seventeen," He says, sighing as he does. That sigh alone told me that things don't seem good right now. "Hey, I gotta go; Maddy's calling. I'll keep you updated." 

"Okay, just worry about her first," I say, not knowing if he even heard me before he hung up the phone. Taking my phone from my ear, I look at it for a moment, my brows pulled together as I do. 

Pulling the plug of my curling iron out of the wall, I head into Christian and my closet, checking to see if he's in there. "Hey, everything okay?" He asks, catching me before I notice him.

"I don't know," I reply, "Chase just called and said that he's on his way to take Maddy to the hospital. Maddy was calling him before he could tell me anything else." Christian looks just as confused as I feel. Christian's already dressed and ready to go; meanwhile, all I had left was to change out of my sweats. "You can probably change. Where things are at now, we're definitely not going out anymore." 

"Wow," Christian says, not sure what else to say. While he's only friends with Maddy because of me, and neither of us has met Chase for more than a couple of minutes, he knows how close Maddy and I are. 

"Yeah," I say, glancing at my phone again. "Chase said he'd update me, so we'll see. If she needs anything, though, I'd like to be there." 

"Of course," Christian agrees, not even questioning it. "Just let me know." 

Keeping my phone on me, I wait to hear anything from either Chase or Maddy, not knowing what else to do right now. Christian and I are sitting together on the couch, the TV's on, but I couldn't pay attention to it if I wanted to right now. Seventeen weeks pregnant, which one of the hundreds of things that could go wrong has? 

About an hour and a half passes before a text finally comes through. Quickly going into my phone, all the message from Chase says is the name of a hospital about twenty minutes from here. Standing up, I hand Christian my phone as I head over to put my shoes on quickly, knowing I should be there for my friend. Christian follows me, quickly getting ready as well as he hands me my phone back. I wonder where his head is at right now? Mine lingers on the potential we'd lost three and a half years ago, and we didn't even know it. Of all the worst cases playing in my mind, I really hope that's not Maddy's reality.