I'm Not Sure He Knew They Could Have One

Jailyn~

"This is fucking insane," I say as we pull up at the courthouse. "Waukesha County Courthouse probably has never had this much media coverage in its lifetime." The sheer amount of people waiting is significantly more than I expected. 

"I doubt they've had too many high-profile people come through," Christian says looking out the window as we park. "You still doing okay?"

I just nod a little, "Yeah, the media presence is just annoying." Christian gives me a small smile squeezing my hand a little before stepping out of the car first. He shuts the door behind him while I get my stuff in my purse before he comes around and opens my door. I take his hand as he helps me out. I adjust my navy blazer slightly so I look put together facing everyone today. I take the moment to fix my pants as well so they fall where they need to over my heels before lacing my fingers with Christians and taking the small walk to the courthouse. I just keep my head down a little heading inside. I really don't need to give them the attention they want from me right now. Christian gets a few steps ahead opening the door for me and putting his hand on the small of my back as he follows me inside. The nerves I've been ignoring and brushing off this whole time seem to come flooding in as soon as the doors close behind us. Never in a million years did I ever picture to be here. 

Someone almost immediately finds us and ushers us to a side room where a group of people is currently. Noticing Jessica I can only assume this is the legal team along with Olivia's family. There's a pit in my stomach as I take in everyone in the room and see various levels of emotion throughout. A grieving family, all seemingly in the various stages of grief conversing with one another consoling each other. I don't know if they noticed Christian and I come in even. I definitely do not blame them. Jessica spots us and waves us over to her.

Holding Christian's hand still, I lead the way through the room to where Jessica is. "Hey Jailyn, thank you again for being here and giving your testimony. I'd like to introduce you to Tonya and Johnathan Taylor, Olivia's parents."

I nod a little and give them a small smile seeing just how broken they look as they try to do the same, "I'm so so so sorry for everything. I can't even imagine what you guys are going through but if there is anything, and I mean anything I can do to help please, don't hesitate to ask." I tell both of them genuinely as I shake their hands.

"Can I hug you?" Tonya asks, I of course nod and embrace her as she does me. "You've got nothing to apologize for. You did all you needed to and your testimony gives us even more of a chance to see him locked away for a very long time. Thank you for everything you've done already." I bite my lip and continue to hold onto her as she does to me knowing just how important this moment is for not only her but for the both of us. How tightly the two of us cling to each other, seemingly being the only thing preventing her from completely falling apart. I hold her as tightly as she holds me. My heart absolutely breaks for them. I didn't really know Olivia but we'll always be connected because of him. 

After a few more moments she let's go and I do the same, "Thank you Jailyn," Jonathan says and we embrace each other as well. "I'm so sorry to hear everything that happened and I'm incredibly thankful you're still here today." Tears are starting to well in my eyes as he speaks to me somehow being able to tell me he's thankful that I'm here while his daughter isn't. "I can't imagine what you're feeling right now and how much strength it must take for you to be here today. So thank you."  We hold onto each other almost the same way Tonya and I were, only I feel completely selfish. I'm here, and their daughter isn't. The compassion the two of them have for me is beyond what I'd have imagined. I never knew it was possible to hate Nick anymore than I always have but Johnathan and Tonya standing here today fuels that even more. They never deserved to go through this. No one does, but the grace and compassion they have for me right now, they're the last people this should have ever happened to.