The Goodbye.

Jailyn~

Holing our hands up both of us play around with our fingers a little before finally intertwining them and letting them rest in the minimal space between us. "This is always the worst part of it all. One of us having to actually leave now." 

Christian sighs a little holding onto me just as tightly as he has been pretty much since we left the field today, "Yeah, I know." 

"How many years do you have on your contract now?" I ask looking up at him from where my head had been resting on his chest. 

"It's 2026 now, and it's through 2028, with a club option for 2029. So, three more years," Christian says rubbing my arm slightly. 

"What happens if they offer you an extension?" 

Christian chuckles a little, "I don't know that they will, I'll be thirty-eight when my contract ends that's not really prime time to resign baseball players." 

"What happens if you're offered another contract? I don't think it's entirely unrealistic, you've won four MVP's and lead the Crew to two World Series championships. Just play what if's for me," I tell him wanting to know where his head is. I selfishly wouldn't want him to resign but I don't know that he'd want to say no if he got the chance to keep playing. 

Furrowing his eyebrows a little Christian thinks about it for a minute, "I don't know, I think that it'd be something that we'd have to discuss if it would happen. I don't want to make a promise that I can't keep for you right now. A lot can happen in three years, right now, I think I'd say no." 

"Why?" I ask, curious as to what his reasoning is.

"Well for starters, not being able to see you in person for months on end isn't exactly fun. Then I'm incredibly happy with my career and where I'll have left it. I love baseball, but not nearly as much as I love you."

I bite my lip a little before leaning my head into his chest more hugging him, "I love you." 

We lay just like this for a while, just holding onto one another not saying a word. Why do both of us have to have stupid busy careers for months at a time? Like he had his career first and I sort of just fell into mine but, at that time, I don't think either of us would've predicted we'd be here. Seven years we've known each other and I guess technically you could say we've been together. That's absolutely crazy. Seven years ago though I probably wouldn't have ever imagined that Christian and I would be married right now let alone even together since I was with Josh still. That was almost easier than being this in love with Christian and now having to be apart from him for the next six months. 

Christian chuckles a little gaining my attention. I give him a questioning look before he explains, "I was just thinking about that time we were just laying together and you were thinking about that Chasing Cars song." I laugh remembering him belting it out when I'd brought it up what was it like three years ago now. 

"That was like three years ago, that's crazy," I comment before taking my turn to belt the song out, "If I lay here, if I just lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world." 

Christian laughs a little, "Something like that." 

Christian and I hold onto each other tightly at the Airport before I can't be with him anymore. He kisses my head as I cling to him my arms wrapped around his waist as his hold onto me tightly around my shoulders just holding each other a few minutes longer. This is the worst part of us being together. The only thing that I'd ever wish to change. The goodbye.