This Is Insane.

Jailyn~

The ring of our doorbell is the first sound I hear when I wake up. Furrowing my brows, I clench my eyes tightly, not quite ready to be awake yet. God only knows what time it is now, let alone when I was actually able to fall asleep last night. Given yesterday's events, I'm surprised I got any. Stretching a little, the bell rings again, prompting Christian to ask, "Were you expecting anyone?"

"No," I reply, sitting up and grabbing my glasses, "Especially not at this time of day." Glancing at the clock reading eight fifteen, I can't help but shake my head. As the doorbell rings again, I fully get out of bed, grabbing the first hoodie I see.

Barely slipping it over my head, Alecia calls, "Hey, Jailyn?" Shootin Christian a look, he shrugs, getting clothes on himself as I leave our bedroom.

About halfway down the stairs, I notice the two officers standing in the living room, speaking with Alecia. Why would I have ever thought any of this could be handled discreetly? Then again, there's nothing discreet about someone being killed. 

"Good morning, Mrs.James-Yelich," The first of the two officers comments as I reach the landing, pulling everyone's attention to me. Alecia's concern is the most evident, knowing nothing about what's going on beyond two uniformed officers in her son's home asking to speak with her daughter-in-law. Cam and Colin have also made an appearance. Neither of them has any clue as to what's going on either. Colin shot a concerned glance behind me as Christian had followed me down. What a mess this has become.

"Morning," I greet, knowing full well what this is about, not caring to get into the formalities of it all. "Can I offer you some tea or coffee? We've got quite a setup, so anything works." My nonchalant offer clearly concerns the family gathered. Christian's hand finds the small of my back, grabbing the cloth of my sweatshirt, subtly trying to ask what's going on. 

"Sorry to drop in so early," The second officer says, "We understand it's been a hectic couple of days, and that the timing is less than ideal, we've just got a couple of questions for you Jailyn if you don't mind." 

"Of course," I reply nodding, "I can show you to the office." Glancing up at my husband, he's looking down at me, his brows furrowed waiting for an explanation. Now's not exactly the time to give him one.  Reassuring him with a small smile, I take the time to show the officers to the room off to the side mostly just used when Jenna and my lawyer have one contract or another for me to go over. 

Ushering the two of them to have a seat, I throw the offer out again, "Like I said, if you need anything just let me know. We've got cappuccinos, lattes, teas, whatever you need. Give me a couple of minutes to get dressed." I joke a little, forcing a chuckle myself. While the hoodie and pajama shorts were fine for accepting a delivery, it's a little inappropriate for this situation. Arguably more than a little.

"Americanos?" The taller of the two asks.

"Of course," I nod, "That's Christians favorite. For you as well?" I ask the shorter officer.

"That'd be fine, thank you," He replies with a small smile. 

"Okay, I'll be right back." 

Leaving the room, I shut the office door behind me quietly, feeling every pair of eyes on me as I do. Taking a breath, I give the three of my in-laws a small smile. This is insane. What am I even supposed to say to them right now? Let alone before I've said anything to my husband. 

"Jai?" Alecia asks, breaking the silence.

Sighing, I nod pushing my hand through my hair, "I promise I'll explain shortly. I just need to handle this," I point towards the office, "First. I'm not in any trouble, it's just a mess." Alecia gives a small nod, the tension in the room still more than palpable. 

Married To BaseballOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara