Chapter Fourteen: Emily's House

Bella swallowed staring up at the house that she had been taken to, she knew that today really wasn’t going the way that she expected and she now wished she hadn’t have come.

“Come on Bella, we don’t bite,” Embry teased looking back at Bella who was still sat in her truck, her hands holding onto the stirring wheel as she stared at him and Jared as they stood just outside of the house.

Jared rolled his brown eyes looking back at, he didn’t know why Jacob couldn’t have just kept his mouth shut; they didn’t want or need the leech-lover hanging around with them.

“Speak for yourself,” Jared said with a smirk before he walked into the house, there was only one Swan that they would welcome into the pack and that was Bella’s cousin.

Even if Sophia had no idea what was going on, she was an unofficial pack member until Paul told her that she was his imprint.

Bella climbed out of her truck and closed the door behind her, she stuck her hands into her pockets before she walked towards Embry who was waiting for her.

“Do me a favor and don’t stare at Emily, it bugs Sam,” Embry murmured watching Bella as she caught up with him.

Bella furrowed her brow wondering what Embry was talking about before he led her into the house; her eyes quickly landing on the woman that was setting muffins on the table.

Embry walked over to the table to sit down leaving Bella hovering by the door, he couldn’t believe that Jacob had thought that telling her would be okay.

“Who is this?” Emily asked finally noticing Bella, she turned to face the newcomer revealing the right side of her face which was scarred from hairline to chin by three thick red lines.

They were vivid in colour even though they had long since healed, one line pulled down the corner of Emily’s dark, almond-shaped right eye, while another twisted the right side of her mouth into a permanent grimace.

“Who else. Bella Swan,” Jared muttered bitterly glancing at Bella and nibbled on his muffin, he really couldn’t believe that Jacob hadn’t considered how this would affect the pack.

Bella wasn’t his imprint nor did she have any right to know about the tribal legends being true; he worried just how far Jacob’s infatuation would go.

“So, you’re the vampire girl,” Emily mused eyeing Bella, she wasn’t sure what she had been expecting when she finally met the girl that Jacob wouldn’t shut up about but she had expected something, well more.

Bella chewed on her lip peeking down at her hands, she wasn’t surprised that they knew about that especially since their legends were the reason she knew what the Cullens were.

“So, you're the wolf girl,” Bella replied trying to sound brave, she knew that she would get to spend time with Jacob again; she was sort of glad since she had missed having someone who could take her mind off of Edward.

“Guess so. Well, I'm engaged to one,” Emily said with a sad fond smile as she looked down at her engagement ring, it was still a sore subject with her about her relationship with Sam.

Emily knew that she had no right to expect Leah to get over what had happened, but she hoped that one day they would at least be on talking terms again; she missed her best friend.

“Leave it up to Jake to find a way around Sam's gag order,” Emily murmured thinking of something else, she knew that Jacob had been pleading with Sam to let him see Bella and now he had found a way to do so; something which bothered her.

This wasn’t going to sit well with his pack brothers who had all had to cut out people from their lives when they started phasing and couldn’t go back.