Chapter Twenty-Six: Alice Cullen

Sophia stared at Alice as she felt dread fill her stomach as she clutched Mia closer to her, her mind filled with the horrible memories of her incident with Victoria filled her mind.

"Get out," Sophia hissed glaring at Alice, she didn't care what anyone thought of her kicking the vampire out of her home; the last thing Bella needed was for the leech to show up now that she was getting better.

Alice blinked looking at the blonde before her, she opened her mouth to ask again who the teenager was before Bella hurried into the house.

"Alice," Bella whispered staring at her best friend, she didn't even spare a look at her cousin before she launched herself at the vampire who seemed just as equally surprised that she was there.

The two hugged for a moment before Alice pushed Bella away, she swallowed knowing that she had so many questions about what was going on.

"Would you like to explain to me how you're alive?" Alice demanded glancing at Sophia curiously, she hadn't seen the blonde in her visions and wasn't sure what to make of her.

Bella frowned leading Alice into the lounge knowing that they needed to talk, she wasn't sure that she wanted to share her best friend with her cousin; the pack already seemed to prefer Sophia for some odd reason that she didn't know.

"I saw a vision of you. You jumped off a cliff. Why in the hell would you try and kill yourself? I mean, what about Charlie? What about...?" Alice asked starting to question Bella about what she had seen, she knew that there had to be an explanation about all of this.

Sophia paled as she remembered the scream that she had heard when Embry had told her and Paul about Harry; she really hadn't thought much of it until now and now she wished she didn't know what it was.

"I didn't try to kill myself. I was cliff diving. Recreationally. It was fun," Bella said shrugging ignoring the dark look that Sophia offered her, she knew that her cousin would only whine about how stupid she had been.

Bella looked down at her pale hands knowing that this was her chance to find out what was happening with Edward, she had missed them all while they had been gone.

"I have never met anyone more prone to life-threatening idiocy," Alice teased with a small smile on her lips, she was glad that it hadn't come to the worst case scenario.

The vampire had been fully prepared to comfort Charlie at Bella's death and she was glad that she had found that Bella wasn't dead; she glanced over at Sophia who was still watching her warily by the doorway.

Alice wasn't sure why Sophia seemed so distrustful of her, she knew she had never done anything to upset her and Bella didn't seem that fond of the teenager either.

"Does...did you...did you tell him?" Bella asked trying to ask about Edward as Sophia stepped into the room, the blonde was making it clear that she wasn't about to leave Bella alone with the blood-sucking vampire.

Sophia closed her blue eyes as she sat down, she should have known that Bella would have found a way to ask about her beloved Edward; she really didn't understand what the attraction was.

"No. He only calls once in every few months. He said he wants to be alone," Alice replied shaking her head sadly, the entire family had collapsed after Edward had forced them to leave Bella behind in Forks.

"Bella, what is that God awful wet dog smell?" Alice said finally taking in the smell of her best friend, she wrinkled her nose as she realised that it wasn't just Bella that smelt that way but the blonde and infant did as well.

Bella blushed looking at her friend and moved back away from her, she really didn't want Edward to know she'd been hanging out with Jacob in case he got the wrong idea.

"Um...that's probably me. Or...it's Jacob," Bella murmured awkwardly knowing that her werewolf best friend wasn't going to be a popular topic, she smiled glad she had finally gotten Alice to talk to since she had so much to say and ask.

Sophia's blue eyes snapped towards the doorway as she realised that Bella hadn't shut the front door properly, she wasn't even surprised that the four weren't alone anymore.

"Jacob's kind of a werewolf," Bella whispered brushing some wet hair from her face, she didn't even seem to care that she had just revealed a private secret to someone.

Sophia glared at Bella knowing that she shouldn't have said that, the pack didn't want anyone knowing about them not even the Cullens unless there was no other choice.

"Ugh! Bella! Werewolves are not good company to keep!" Alice scolded wondering what on earth was wrong with her friend, she had to be a magnet for trouble or something since this wasn't normal.

No human should be able to not only find themselves involved with a coven of vampires but a pack of werewolves as well; it just didn't seem right to Alice that Bella had managed to do both without trying.

"Speak for yourself," Jacob said walking into the lounge, his eyes looking at Bella who was sat comfortably beside Alice and then he glanced at Sophia to make sure that she was okay.

Jacob swallowed knowing that he had only come back to check on Sophia and Mia at Paul's insistence; the blonde and her daughter were pack members now and would receive protection that Bella wouldn't.

"You came back?" Bella asked smiling up at Jacob, she had been afraid that he had turned his back on her, in her hurry to see which Cullen had come to her home when he had dropped her off.

Alice eyed the wolf wondering why he had come inside, she knew little about the Quileute wolves only that there was a treaty in place; she frowned as she realised he was in love with Bella.

"I need to check on Sophia for Paul... he wants her to call him right away," Jacob said passing on the message that his pack brother had given him, he wished that he had been able to imprint on Bella since Paul had imprinted on her cousin.

Sophia nodded her head as she got to her feet, she spared a glance at Bella wondering why she didn't see the trouble that Alice was going to cause just by staying with them.

"You've delivered your message now run back to Sam," Bella spat annoyed that he hadn't come for her, she looked away as Alice frowned a little disturbed by Bella's attitude.

This certainly wasn't the eighteen year old that she had left behind at Edward's insistence, it was like a new person all together; Jacob stared at Bella for a moment before he nodded his head and headed for the door.

"She's only going to break your heart," Sophia whispered softly walking passed Jacob and headed upstairs as he prepared to leave, she glanced at him sadly wondering how her cousin could be so cruel.

Bella seemed far too forgiving of the best friend and vampire that had abandoned her for six months without a word; she almost didn't seem to care that Alice could be leaving again soon.

"Bella who was that?" Alice asked curiously, she still hadn't been introduced to the blonde and only knew her name because the wolf had said it. The vampire couldn't see the teenager or the little girl and it set her on edge, she didn't like not being able to see anything like that.

"That's just my cousin Sophia and her daughter," Bella replied with a shrug knowing that Jacob would come around, he had never been able to stay away from her before and he wouldn't now.