Chapter Fifty-Eight: Family Confusion

"My father wants to meet you," Paul grumbled sitting down on the bed as he watched Sophia sort through the basket of ironing to put it away; she stopped what she was doing and looked at her boyfriend when she heard what he had said.

Sophia didn't know much about her boyfriend's family other than the fact that both of Paul's parents had divorced and he had lived with his father before she had come into his life.

"I thought he was out of town," Sophia said trying to recall what she knew about Paul's family and she was coming up short.

Sophia knew that Paul didn't get along with his father who was away for weeks on end since he worked as a logger and his mother was off somewhere in Los Angeles working as a nurse.

"He's just come back and Carol was all too quick to tell him about you and Mia," Paul muttered annoyed that his step-mother hadn't been able to keep quiet for a little while until he was ready to tell his father himself.

Paul was pretty much living with Sophia now and he barely went home to his step-mother and half-sister since they didn't know that he was a tribal protector and he wasn't allowed to tell them.

Sophia sighed sitting down on their bed next to Paul and took his hand, she knew that he wasn't on the best terms with his parents and she hoped that everything was going to be okay.

"We've been invited to dinner tomorrow night," Paul said smiling at his imprint, he hated that they had to do this but he knew that his father wasn't going to make this easy on them.

Daniel Lahote was a man that always got what he wanted, he wasn't going to take no for an answer especially since nearly everyone knew who Sophia was and would be talking about her.

***

"So I heard you were having dinner with Paul's family tomorrow," Emily said smiling at Sophia as she continued to make dinner, she knew that the blonde would be nervous especially since Paul didn't seem that fond of his father.

Sophia nodded her head eyeing Emily as she set Mia in the playpen that had been set up for her and Austin in the Uley's home.

"I'm a little nervous about it," Sophia admitted moving to help Emily, she knew that this wasn't going to be easy and the last set of parents that she had met where Jason's and they had disliked her.

Emily nodded her head, this wasn't going to be the best meeting and she had a feeling that Carol might only make things worse for her.

Emily had heard that Paul's step-mother had been talking to a lot of people about Sophia and trying to learn all about her step-son's new girlfriend; she had heard a lot of the rumours going around and it was bound to colour her opinion of Sophia.

"Any suggestions... the last time I met anyone's parents was Jason and we both know how that turned out," Sophia asked looking at Emily, she really wanted Paul's father to like her and she knew that this wasn't going to be easy.

Sophia had a feeling that the whispers about her would cause some problems; everyone seemed to have an opinion on her even if she didn't know them.

"Just be yourself," Emily replied knowing that there was no point pretending to be something that she wasn't, Sophia was a lovely young woman and she was good for Paul.

The bad tempered wolf had been so much calmer since he had imprinted and even his teachers at school had noticed a change in him since he had started dating Sophia.

"Speaking of parents... have you heard from yours?" Emily asked curiously putting a couple of the pies that she was making into the oven to cook; she glanced at Sophia knowing that her father still refused to speak to her but seemed to slowly be calming down.

Sophia nodded moving to put some things in the sink for Emily, she chewed on her lip as she started to do some washing wanting to help out while she could; there was some slow progress where her own parents were concerned.

"My mother called yesterday... she seems happier and was talking about visiting in the summer," Sophia mused washing the dishes and Emily moved to dry them; the two of them were alone since everyone else was at school or on patrol.

Emily raised an eyebrow knowing that it had been years since either of Sophia's parents had been to Forks and she had a feeling that they wouldn't come.

"Uncle Charlie told her that I had a boyfriend... so she was quizzing me about him and my sex life," Sophia explained shaking her head, she wasn't ready for anything like that yet, Paul understood and wasn't pushing her to do anything.

Emily laughed softly brushing some hair from her face as she nodded her head, she knew that while Caroline clearly wasn't the best mother in the world; she did care for her daughter in some way.

Sophia swallowed finishing washing the dishes and pulled the plug an allowed the water to drain away, she dried her hands as Emily finished drying and leant back against the counter.

"She asked if I had thought about what I would be doing for Christmas... she thinks father would like it if Mia and I came home for the holidays," Sophia mused making Emily stop and look at her, it was nearly June and there was still six months until Christmas.

"Isn't it a little early to be thinking about that?" Emily asked raising an eyebrow at the blonde, she had no idea how things worked for people like Sophia's parents but there was no need to start planning now.

Sophia snorted, she had been a little surprised as well but she knew that her mother was asking for a reason and it made her curious.

"I think she's up to something," Sophia said with a shake of her head, she knew that her parents had been upset that she'd decided to keep Mia and had been distant with her after her daughter's birth.

But there was something going on if her mother was suddenly making an effort to speak to her; Caroline called three times a week now and always sounded so cheerful that it was starting to creep Sophia out a little.

It sort of reminded Sophia about how things were before she had told them that she was pregnant and she had even noticed that they had started paying more money to her card even though she had a job now to support herself and Mia.

"Maybe she's seen the light," Emily said moving to put the dishes away, it was more than likely something else but she always liked to see the good side of people even if they did do things wrong.

Sophia smiled at Emily, she was glad that she had a friend like her to talk to and the pack bond between the female imprints had only grown stronger and they were all great friends.

There were four of them now excluding Jason who since he had started his new job training under Charlie had started to spend less time with the pack even though he always made time for Leah.

"I don't know," Sophia said honestly moving to check on Mia, she smiled at her daughter knowing that whatever her mother was doing was going to set her on edge for a while.

Sophia knew that she would always love her parents, they were her parents and always would be even if sometimes they did do things that made her want to hate them.

Sophia had a feeling that things were going to change very soon and it worried her what would happen.