Chapter Fifty-Five: Bump in the Night

Sophia jumped awake hearing a slamming from downstairs, she flicked on her bedside light as she stared at her bedroom door confused.

It was barely two o'clock in the morning and Sophia was confused about the noise that she had heard; the blonde knew it wouldn't be anyone from the pack since they would still be on patrol.

Sophia swallowed nervously quietly climbing out of bed dressed in her blue crochet trim vest and short set since she was used to having Paul sleeping next to her.

Sophia's blue eyes remained locked on her bedroom door as she reached for her grey mouse ear dressing gown and wrapped it around her before she quietly left her bedroom.

Sophia pressed herself up against the wall and slowly made her way along the hallway, she peeked down the hall to Fiona's bedroom to find her friend also coming to see what was going on.

Fiona was dressed only in her Elmo print onesie and looked a little freaked out at the banging that seemed to be coming from the kitchen; she shared a look with Sophia as they wondered if their home had been broken into or they had a vampire on the loose.

Sophia quickly grabbed the titanium baseball bat that was stored in the cupboard at the top of the stairs, she glanced at Fiona knowing that someone had to go down there.

"You can't be serious," Fiona whispered staring at her friend concerned, if it was a vampire then there was little chance of this ending well.

Fiona didn't want to be the one to tell Paul that his imprint had gotten herself killed, it seemed crazy that Sophia was even going to attempt such a thing.

"Well someone has to go downstairs," Sophia argued quietly looking at Fiona, there was the occasional bump downstairs and it made her worry that whoever was down there would soon come upstairs.

Fiona stared at her friend for a moment before she hurried into her bedroom and grabbed a lamp before she returned to Sophia's side; she couldn't let her best friend do this alone.

"I'm coming with you," Fiona said knowing that she needed to do this, she wasn't going to allow any vampire or burglar get the better of them now; the brunette would never forgive herself if she did.

Sophia stared at her for a moment before she nodded her head, she really hoped that it was just a burglar because she didn't think that they would be able to do any damage to a vampire.

Slowly and silently the two women made their way downstairs knowing that whatever was awaiting them that they were going to do this together.

"Okay I'll sneak around to the kitchen through the dining room... you go through the main door," Fiona whispered looking at the kitchen door knowing that this was it; she felt butterflies in her stomach and she was sure that whatever happened that she would go down fighting.

Austin and Mia were sleeping soundly upstairs and they would never know what had happened; the two women just hoped that it wasn't Victoria taking a risky chance to come after them.

Sophia nodded her head gripping her baseball bat, she offered a small smile to Fiona before the brunette hurried away leaving her alone.

Sophia quietly took a deep breath as she turned back to the kitchen, more bumps and bangs could be heard from inside and it made her worry what she would find inside.

Slowly Sophia walked over to the door and rested her hand on the door knob, her fingers gripping it tightly before she pushed the door open and screamed in attack.

The blonde swung her baseball bat only for the intruder to grab a hold of it and stop her from hitting him.

Fiona rushed in from her entrance and cried out a battle cry as she ran at the person who dared break into her home; she swung her lamp wildly before she spotted the look of confusion on Sophia's face.

Turning her attention to the person who had broken in and who had woken the two up, Fiona stopped as she realised that it was Paul; who looked completely bemused about what had happened.

"You scared the fudge out of us," Fiona said stopping and glaring at Paul who had disrupted her sleep, she felt a little silly now that she knew it was just him.

Sophia released her hold on the baseball bat, she felt her heart beating wildly as she started to calm down; she had been so sure it had been someone breaking in that she hadn't even thought it was Paul coming home early from patrol.

"Sorry," Paul said with a shrug of his shoulders, he eyed his imprint as Fiona huffed and headed back to bed leaving the couple alone.

Sophia stared up at him, something had happened and she hated that he was angry about something and there was nothing she could do to help.

"What happened?" Sophia asked as Paul moved to reheat the food that Sophia had left for him, he was hungry and after what had happened he needed to calm down.

Sophia followed after him concerned, she could tell that it had been bad and she worried that Victoria had killed more people; it made her hate the Cullens even more for not getting rid of her when they had the chance instead of allowing this to continue.

"Victoria jumped the treaty line again... one of the Cullens tried to follow her," Paul spat furious that this only seemed to be getting worse, he feared what could have happened if she'd tried to come after Sophia while the pack had been forced to deal with the Cullens.

***

Closing their bedroom door behind him, Paul looked at Sophia as she settled back into bed so that they could get some sleep; he sighed as he smiled softly as he watched her for a moment.

They had been together for a few weeks now and it still felt strange for him to think how he had changed since Sophia and Mia had both come into his life and he wouldn't change things for the world.

"Paul?" Sophia called softly as her boyfriend padded over to the bed, he had pretty much moved in since she had been given the house and she was curious about his family who she had never met.

Paul shook his head as he climbed into bed, he knew that he wasn't going to allow any leech to get close to Sophia or Mia again; it still scared him that he had nearly lost her once before.

"I love you," Paul said wrapping his arms around Sophia and pulled her close, he knew that with Victoria becoming a greater threat that he needed to do all that he could to protect his imprint.

Sophia stared at Paul for a moment before she pressed a kiss to his lips, she knew that there was a lot on his mind and she hated that her cousin was the cause of a lot of the problems for the pack.

"I love you too," Sophia replied closing her eyes, it was still late at night and she was sure that whatever had happened could wait till morning for her to deal with.

Paul held his imprint as she fell back asleep in his arms, he stared up at the ceiling as his mind raced with what could happen if Victoria was destroyed soon.

Paul feared for his girlfriend and he knew that unless something was done soon then Victoria might just try and come back for Sophia; she had tried to turn her once and she could do it again.

"I'd do anything to keep you safe Phia," Paul whispered pressing a kiss to the top of her head, he would give his life to make sure that nothing would ever happen to her or Mia.