Chapter Eighty-Six: A Life Lost

Sophia brushed some hair from her face as she flicked through the morning paper, it had been a long night and she knew that it was just the beginning; she had barely been able to sleep and she wished she knew why. 

Sophia had a bad feeling in her stomach and she couldn't shake the feeling that today was the day that the Cullens would turn her cousin; she wondered what was going to happen when that news broke. 

It felt like ages since Bella had become Isabella Cullen, it still felt unreal to Sophia and she hoped that her cousin wasn't going to regret her decision one day; there was no way for her to undo the change once she had been turned. 

Sophia sipped on her coffee, she was going to need all the help that she could get if she was going to make it through a day of work; she peeked at the clock knowing that Paul would be awake soon. 

No one knew that what was going to happen when Charlie found out that Bella had died, they weren't sure how the Cullens would do it but they were all prepared for the shock that would take over the entire area when it happened. 

Sophia chewed on her lip, she would have to find some way of grieving for someone who wasn't really dead; she couldn't tell anyone that didn't know the truth about what had happened. 

It broke Sophia's heart that Charlie was going to grieve for Bella, she was his only child and it would devastate him; she wasn't sure that he could ever recover from what was going to happen. 

Sophia jumped as Paul kissed her cheek, she turned to look at him not having heard him come down the stairs; she smiled a little at him wondering what they would do. 

Paul walked over to the cupboard and started to search for some cereal, he had school and he wanted nothing more than to forget about the amount of homework that he could be coming home with at the end of the day.

***

Chewing on her lip as she typed up some notes for a patient, Sophia heard the front door to the health centre open and closed; she didn't look up at whoever had entered since it was quiet and she was using that to her advantage. 

Sophia liked the afternoons because they were so quiet, she wanted to be sure that she didn't mess up with the file that she was working on; Mia was with Jason and she would be spending most of the day with him. 

"Sophia," whispered a voice making Sophia look up sharply, she blinked surprised to see her uncle standing before her; she felt her stomach drop at the state of Charlie and there was no doubting what had happened. 

Charlie's brown eyes were red and he had clearly been crying, he opened and closed his mouth trying to find the words to tell her what he had just been told; he hadn't known who else to speak to about this. 

"Uncle Charlie is everything okay?" Sophia asked surprised about how calm she felt, she tried to focus on her uncle instead of the guilt that was starting to form inside of her. 

Charlie opened his mouth to speak only to break down, he started sobbing making Sophia get to her feet and move towards him; her heart breaking at the sight of her uncle collapsing to the floor sobbing. 

"She's gone," Charlie cried attracting the attention of everyone in the building, he rocked back and forth while Sophia tried to calm him down; she wrapped her arms around her uncle hoping that Bella was happy. 

Charlie clung to Sophia and cried not caring who saw him, his only child was gone and nothing was going to bring her back; it wasn't going to ever get better now. 

"Who's gone Charlie?" Sue asked approaching the two, she hated seeing him like this and she wished that there was something that she could do to help him.

"Bella," Charlie sobbed making people start to whisper, everyone knew that Charlie's daughter was on her honeymoon in South America with her new husband; they were stunned to see the chief of police like this. 

Sophia tried to calm Charlie down, she held onto him feeling tears build in her own eyes and she couldn't stop them from falling; she hated Bella for what she had done and there was no going back now. 

"What happened?" Sue asked softly feeling bad, she moved to get some tissues wondering what lie the vampires had told Charlie; she wanted nothing more than to be prepared for whatever came next. 

Charlie couldn't speak as he tried to think through what Carlisle and Esme had told him, they had come to his home and broke the horrible news; they had been upset and he couldn't remember much about what had been said. 

"They were involved in some sort of crash..." Charlie whimpered everything seemed like such a blare and he still couldn't believe that Bella was gone; he might not have been happy that Bella had married Edward but he hadn't thought things would end like this. 

Sophia and Sue looked at one another, a crash was a good way to make sure that the coffin was nailed shut and no one would realise that Bella wasn't inside of it instead she would be miles away adjusting to becoming a vampire. 

"I'm so sorry Charlie," Sue apologised not knowing what else to say to him, he didn't deserve what had happened and she worried that he wouldn't be able to cope. 

Charlie had been pretty bad after Renee had left him taking Bella with her, he had been so happy when his daughter had moved back and now he was practically alone again.

***

Rosalie wrinkled her nose as she stared at the two coffins that lay in her home, she was far from happy about any of this but there was no going back now; she hoped that this was going to work. 

Carlisle continued to pack out the coffin to make it feel like there was a body inside, he hadn't wanted to steal one from the morgue to convince people that it was Bella or Edward; the coffins would be nailed shut so no one would know that they were empty. 

"You could help Rosalie," Alice called looking to her sister, she didn't know why Rosalie was still moping about when Bella had made her choice and as far as Alice could see there was no problems coming their way. 

Bella was going to be perfect and they would be moving away from Forks in a few weeks, the funeral would be in a few days and everything was going to be fine; Alice was thrilled that everyone was getting the happy ending that they wanted. 

"I'd rather not," Rosalie muttered with a shake of her head, she was angry that things had worked out like this; she was sure that one day Bella would regret the choice that she had made. 

Alice shook her head and continued on helping Carlisle, she wished that Rosalie would let this go and move on; Bella was going to be so happy when she woke up and got to spend eternity with Edward. 

"She's going to regret this," Rosalie said looking to Carlisle, she wished he would have put a stop to this months ago and maybe even stopped Edward from ever interfering with Bella's life before it had become too late. 

Carlisle sighed and looked at Rosalie, he stared at his eldest daughter for a moment hoping that she was wrong; he hated to think what would happen if Bella one day resented the family for being turned.