Chapter Ninety-Three: Waiting for a Sign

"You should go home and sleep," Sam murmured standing next to Paul, he stared into the hospital room where Sophia lay and he knew that this was far from easy for his friend; he wished that there was something that he could do. 

Things had been pretty quiet in the last couple of days, there were no signs of more vampires and the pack felt relaxed a little after what had happened to Sophia. 

"The doctor says the swelling is going down," Paul replied not hinting that he had heard what Sam said, he knew that he should go home and check on everything but he wanted nothing more than to stay in the hospital with Sophia. 

The doctors were pleased with the progress that Sophia was making ad they were hopeful that she would wake up anytime; Paul was determined to be there when she woke up no matter what anyone said. 

Sighing and shaking his head, Sam wondered what would happen if Sophia didn't wake up and how long Paul would wait around for her; he knew it was a horrible way to think but her parents would be the ones to make any decisions regarding her life. 

"I won't leave her alone Sam," Paul mumbled turning to face Sam, he knew everyone wanted him to focus on what he was doing; Mia had no idea what was going on and was missing her mother. 

Sam could only nod his head, he hated this as much as Paul did but there was nothing that they could do but wait to see what happened; it was all up to Sophia now and they were all sure she was fighting to wake up. 

"The Cullens called," Sam murmured not sure if he should be telling Paul of the call he had just gotten, he was angry himself at what was being suggested and he hated that they were trying to meddle now. 

It hadn't escaped anyone's notice that it had been oddly quiet when it came down to Alice, it made them wonder if she had seen what Irina had planned but just chosen not to tell them.

"Bella wishes for Sophia to be turned if she doesn't improve," Sam revealed not even surprised how selfish Bella was being about all of this, when she had called all she had been interested in was how much she missed home. 

It had really annoyed Bella that she was being kept away from her family, she hated that she couldn't pop in and see Charlie even at a distance and now that Sophia was in a coma; Bella saw the perfect opportunity to get her cousin to join her. 

"Over my dead body," Paul spat glaring at Sam, he didn't want to think of the woman that he loved becoming a leech and there was no way in hell that he was going to allow that to happen. 

Bella had made her choice when she had become a vampire but there was no way in hell that Sophia would want the same; Paul knew that if Bella wanted this then it wouldn't be long before the other Cullens showed up trying to make her happy. 

"It's not going to happen Paul," Sam reassured him, he'd had a long talk with Carlisle about this when Bella had complained that they were being unfair and it had been agreed that unless Sophia herself made that decision then nothing would be done. 

Carlisle had also offered to return to Forks so that he could be Sophia's doctor so that she would get the best treatment possible but Sam had declined since he didn't trust the Cullen to keep his promise. 

"Mia is asking for you," Sam stated watching Paul, he wasn't going to focus on what the Cullens wanted when there were people that needed each other right now. 

***

Jason took a deep breath as he carried Mia into the hospital, he had wanted to wait to bring Mia into see Sophia and he knew that the little girl had been so fussy since the accident that had nearly killed her mother. 

It made Jason wonder if Mia was more aware of what was going on around her than he thought, he had tried everything to sooth her and it hadn't been easy for him especially with Mia crying most nights for her mother. 

Jason smiled nodding at Paul, he had been surprised at how loyal he had been with Sophia laying in a hospital bed; he respected the fact that Paul had barely left the blonde alone at any point. 

"How is she?" Jason asked looking into the hospital room, he could see a doctor inside talking with Sophia's parents and it made him worry that something might have happened; he didn't think he would be able to cope raising their daughter alone. 

Paul moved to fuss over Mia for a moment, it was all so confusing for the little girl and he doubted that she'd ever really been in a hospital before; she was so young and he didn't want to think of her losing her mother. 

"They're talking treatment options," Paul murmured since he technically wasn't family, he wasn't allowed to have a say and Paul was hopeful that Sophia's parents would make the right call that allowed her to get better in her own time. 

Jason nodded his head, he looked down at Mia and prayed that they weren't about to lose Sophia; she was strong and he was so sure that she would wake up when she was ready. 

"They won't pull the plug... dispute all their flaws, they do love her," Jason murmured trying to comfort Paul in a small way, they might not get along but he did know that they both only wanted what was best for Mia and Sophia. 

They would just take time to find some common ground where they didn't clash constantly, Jason just hoped that the common ground that they needed wasn't going to be the death of the woman they both cared for.

***

Sophia smiled to herself as she walked through her home, the children were at school and Paul was at work for the day leaving her alone; she'd done all the house work and she was glad for a rest. 

Sitting down on the couch, Sophia peeked around the living room as she thought about how odd her life was; she kept having blackouts and yet no one seemed to notice, it had begun to make her think that this wasn't real. 

Sophia turned on the television and flipped through the channels, she was bored and every time that she went to leave the house something odd happened and she found herself in another room. 

"I wasn't expecting to see you here," a voice said making Sophia jump, she quickly got to her feet and turned around to see her grandmother standing behind her; she stared at her wondering what she was doing here. 

From what Sophia could remember her grandmother wasn't well enough to travel and yet here she was in La Push; it made Sophia's stomach turn and she stepped back for a moment trying to work out what was going on. 

"Gran?" Sophia whispered walking towards her, she pulled her into a hug and for the first time in a long time she actually felt safe; recently when Paul or the children hugged her she felt cold but this hug felt warm. 

Lorelei held her granddaughter close, she closed her eyes knowing that she needed to get Sophia to wake up before it was too late and she was lost forever. 

"It is time for you to wake up," Lorelei said knowing that Sophia had spent too long in this world, her parents were going to be devastated enough without having to bury their daughter as well.

Opening her mouth confused, Sophia went to say something only to find the entire room fading out to white and the last thing she saw was her grandmother's smile.