Chapter 23 - Home

⚠️TW⚠️
War
Depression
Self isolation
Talk of death
Talk of violence
————
⚠️That's all I can think of for the TW's, there could be more but this is a very deep chapter so feel free to skip this one if you don't like anything to do with war and fighting⚠️
————

AARON'S POV:

It's Wednesday night, I'm sitting in my cabin that I share with twelve other men, whom I do not wish to utter a word to. When someone calls my name,

"Mr Warner" a voice calls. "Here," I stand up and walk over to the soldier who has a letter in his hand. I hope with all of me it's from Juliette. "Here, this came for you, sir" I nod once then walk to my bottom bunk.

I open the envelope;

Dear my beautiful Aaron,

I am beyond relieved your okay,

I miss you so much more than words can explain, I miss waking up next to you, I miss seeing your smile, I miss everything about you. I'm so excited that you'll be back soon. I'm so happy the mission is going well and good luck on Friday. Be safe, please.

By the time you get this the day you leave will be really soon, I just want you to go in there knowing that I love you more than anything. No matter what happens in that base, no matter the outcome I'll always love you to the moon and back a thousand times more.

I'll see you soon, my darling.

Love,

Your Sweetheart, Juliette Xx     

As I put the letter under my pillow I felt something else in the envelope, so I opened it. Inside was a small polaroid of me and her the night of the party, I'm in my suit and she's in her dress. She is flush against my chest, my arms wrapped around her waist, her hands on my chest, she's looking into my eyes and I'm copying her actions. Me and her, a place I'd much rather be right now.

I wipe my tears, as a group of men come into the room, I run and hand through my hair and lay down, pretending to be asleep.

After what feels like a decade I do fall asleep, for real this time.

————

JULIETTE'S POV:

It's Saturday morning. The attack was yesterday and I've heard nothing, I feel the unimaginable anxiety that rises in me. I don't know how to take this, I have fought in wars much larger than a base attacking on a rebel group and so has he, but this, this has me stuck in a bundle of nerves that take over my mind. I can't be alone right now, not today. I need my friends, I need company.

I walk to breakfast in the canteen, shaking like I've never felt warmth.

Today, I sat in Aarons chair. I'm wearing Aaron's sweater. "Hey, J" Kenji moves into my usual seat and pulls me into a side hug, I bury my face into Kenji's chest and just cry. He rubs my back and mumbles words that I'm not listening to, to me.

I can't breath

I feel trapped

How do I work my own body

I can't do anything

"J, it's alright. Breath." Kenji says to me, I look up at him. "Kenji..." I sob. "I'm sure everything's okay. I'm sure you'll hear soon," I nod to him. I need to know if he's okay, why hasn't anyone told me. I can't cope with not knowing if he's... alive. I know Aaron is perfectly capable of fighting and defending himself, but things can happen, accidents can be made.

I only stare at the food that's before me, toast, there's no way I can eat. I feel sick to my stomach in fear and my stomach is churning in uncomfort. My legs are bouncing with nerves and I'm picking the skin from my fingers, so much so that blood starts to form. I need him...

I hear loud and quick footsteps and crying, cheating and shouting. I look up, it's the soldiers from 21, Aarons not there. Why's he not there? Where is he? Is he okay? Did he come back?

"Juliette..." Castle says. "No..." I mumble. "No, no no," I say this time louder. "Kenji... Why's he not here?" I look at Kenji with sobbing eyes. "J, I don't know" his voice sounds so upset... like he has lost hope.

I press my lips together and shake my head. "Don't" I sniffle "don't give up hope for him, he might be on another tank that's arriving later," I try to breathe. "Please, someone tell me he's okay."

The door to the canteen opens

A few footsteps ring through the now silent hall, I turn around.

"Aaron," I breathe.

I'm sprinting to him sobbing, as is he. He drops his bag and picks me up, I wrap my legs around his waist. "Aaron," I cried. "I'm here, my love, I'm here" he pulls me into a kiss. He puts one hand on my lower back and the other resting on the back of my head.

We stay like that for about three minutes, I pull away and smile at him. I rest my forehead against his. "I love you so much" I say. "Gosh I love you," he breathes. "I missed you more than anything," he says. "I missed you-" I don't even finish what I'm going to say, I just kiss him. It tells him all of what I want to say.

He puts me down and he reaches for my hand, we walk to the table. I sit in my chair and he... he sits in his. "Warner, you're okay!" James smiles at his older brother. "Yes, I am" he wipes his tears. "Hey, Warner, my man!" Kenji smiles. "No, Kishimoto, just no," he slightly chuckles. "My love, why are your hands bleeding?" he asks to bring them closer to him. "Oh, that. I was just nervous, what about you? Are you hurt at all?" I cup his face. "I'm unharmed," he smiles. I kiss him and snuggle into him. His scent fills me, so much stronger than the sweater.

————

Word count: 1006