Chapter 96 - Flying

⚠️TW⚠️
Mention of murder
Mention of death
Mention of war
————
JULIETTE'S POV:
After lunch, me and Aaron find ourselves going for a
walk, outside the sector.
Aaron's hand, in mine, our finger intertwined.

"You know," I begin, "I've never heard of that". I say, as Aaron is telling me about some scent of soap. "I mean, why would you want to smell like firewood and lemon, they completely contradict each other!"

He nods, breathes a beautiful laugh. "I don't know. You'll never see me using that soap though."

Suddenly I think of something. "Wait, do you go to a shop for soaps?"

He stops right in his tracks, causing my to holt as well.

"What?" He adverts my gaze. "I mean, well... you know!" He stumbled over his words.

My eyes widen and my face lights up. "Oh my gosh!" I squeeze his hand. "You do, don't you?"

He nods. "Yeah."

"That's awesome!" I say, catching his off guard. "I didn't even know that was a thing until now. I bet it smells amazing in there!" I begin to ramble, then stop myself. "Why haven't you ever told me about this before?"

His cheeks flush a light shade of pink. "Well, it's kind of like... I don't know, embarrassing."

I'm hit with confused, and I know my face shows it. "Why is it embarrassing?"

"Maybe it isn't, but to me, it most certainly is." He said.

I peck a kiss on his forehead. "You know," I begin, "when you next go, I would like to come with you". I smile.

He looks even more shy now, it's so adorable. "Really? Alright?"

I giggle at his embarrassment, I know I shouldn't find it amusing, but his cute cheeks filling with a pink-like-red tint. "I love it when you blush." I tease.

I see his small smile widen, become more obvious and more predominant.

"Well, anyway," he changes the conversation. "Where exactly are we going with this walk?" He asks me.

I laugh. "Way to start a new conversation."

He chuckles as well, acknowledging that I know what he is doing.

"But anyway, I just wanted to go for a walk, have the wind on my face and see the birds in the sky." I take a deep breath of the cold air.

"Fair enough." He chuckles. "Can I ask you a question, love?"

"Of course."

"What is it about birds that you find so fascinating?" He asked.

I suppose that's a fair question. "Well, I don't really know," I begin. "I just remember the fascination I had with birds, how the sore through the clear, crystal sky. To be frank, I don't think there is anything that necessarily happened so that my wonder of them spiked." I explain. "I see them fly away, they can go wherever they want, whenever they want to. I just think that having wings and being able to breath in the fresh air as the wind blows on your face, high up in the sky, it'd just make me feel... free."

He smiles at me, it's a soft smile, yet it says so much. It shows that he genuinely cares about my rambling, well I mean, he did read and reread my journal over and over, so I guess that's a given, but it means so much to me that someone actually cares about what I'm thinking about, my opinions. I've never had that before.

"You know," he said, "I think you'd enjoy piloting a plane."

My face lights up. "Do you really think so?"

He nods. "Yes, I do, and I can teach you sometime if that's something you'd want to do."

"Yes, yes, yes,yes!" I bounce on the balls of my feet. "That sounds amazing!" The newly released excitement threatening to irrupt throughout me.

His face softens, every so much. "Well then, I can teach you the next time we have access to an airplane."

"Hold on a moment," I pause, "don't you have access to multiple airplanes whenever you want to, if you wanted?"

He shakes his head with a soft hum, "nope, all the airplanes and helicopters are used by the soldiers". His Adam's Apple bobbing up and down, before continuing. "My father used to keep all the aircraft's to himself, making it, so that many, many men died - when, with a simple air rescue mission, they could have been easily saved".

I say, nodding. "That makes sense."

"Yeah," he huffs out a breath, "he took I Grieve Nothing and I Take Everything a whole different way."

I chuckle, as he references the tattoo on his upper back, close to his shoulders. Ignite.

"Aaron." I say. To which he hum a response of "yes".
"Do you ever resent me?" I look at the ground, embarrassed and slightly ashamed. "You know, because I...- I mean he was your father."

Aaron suddenly stops in his tracks and reaches for my hand. "How on earth could I resent you for saving the world, love?"

I shake my head. "That's not what I asked."

He takes a deep breath, white smoke coming out his mouth from the cold air mixing and hitting his hot breath. "My love, I do not recent you in the slightest." He sighed again, more white smoke forming from his mouth. "In fact I am entirely grateful that you were strong enough to do what I should have done a long time ago."

I nod my head, looking anywhere but at him. "I don't know, sometimes I just get this overwhelming urge to apologise to you about it."

"Apologies?" Aaron squeaks. "You have no need to give me an apology, love."

"Please forgive me if I did hurt you in any way."

He shakes his head, cupping my cold face with his gloved hand. "You haven't, there is nothing to forgive." His green eyes burning into my green-blue ones. "I only recent that I couldn't have been the one put a bullet in his head."

I giggle softly. "I think there would be a whole line of people who would love to shoot him in the skull, if I'm honest."

"I'd be first in that line," he chuckled, "I've been waiting in the queue for twenty one years." He sighed. "Trust me love, I am so happy and proud of you, sweetheart."
————
Word count: 1057