Chapter 47 - To See You

⚠️TW⚠️
Trauma
Abuse
Family issues
Abusive parents
Panic
Worry
Guns
Threat
Mention of murder
————
JULIETTE'S POV:
Alarms blare. The red glow from them hurt my eyes, they light up the bedroom.

I jolt upward, examining the room we're in for any sort of weapon, defense... anything.
I turn to look at the clock, it's three in the morning.
"Love!" Aaron's voice holds urgency, "stay here while I check out the hallway, the office and bathroom. Once it's safe we'll go and see what's going on."

I don't want him to check around on his own, but I know there's no point in arguing with him over this. He would be persistent, determined. I do, though, truly admire his ambition and courage.

"Okay," I sigh.

He pokes his head around the door, looking down the hallway.
Once he is satisfied that it's safe, he checks the bathroom then the office.
"Okay, no one is in this part of the building." He lets out a, obviously much needed, breath.  "Are you alright, Sweetheart?" He comes and sits next to me, feet still flat on the floor, perched on edge of 'my side of the bed'.
"I'm okay," I try to smile, I have no idea if I'm successful. "Just a bit... nervous."
He kisses my forehead, "would you like to stay here? Everyone would understand if you need to sit this one out, you know."

I shake my head, I can't do that, I wouldn't do that. They all need me, my soldiers, my friends and everyone in the sector, they all look to me for their safety, their families safety - so for that, I would die fighting, die to let them all know I'll never break my promise when I promised them I'd make them all, eventually, safe again.

"Okay, are you ready?" He asked, he has had the time to slip out of his night wear and into a white T-shirt and a pair of dress trousers.
I look down at what I'm wearing, eh, it's not like that's what people are going to be focusing on.
I'm dressed in a pair of pale pink pyjamas. They have spaghetti string sleeves and short shorts. I'm going to freeze, but I do not have time to change now.

(Juliette's pjs)

Arron passes me a thick, woolly, knitted cardigan

Arron passes me a thick, woolly, knitted cardigan. It is a light cream. I slip it on and we are putting our shoes on, I'm wearing trainers, him, he's wearing black, heavy boots.

We bolt down the corridors, down the stairs, through crowds of panicking commotion.

Until we are in front of Kenji, Castle, Adam, Brendon and Winston.
"Is everything okay?" I ask, out of breath.
"What happened?" Aaron isn't even breaking a small ounce of sweat. How?!
"J-" Kenji hesitates, "there are two people who... erm, wish to speak to you".

I'm now losing the only remaining inch of calmness I had left. Is it Sebastian? Alexander? Someone from the RARE's?

"Who?" I ask, my voice exposing my worry.

"Your mother and father."

Time stops, the world stops turning and the sun stops shining. What the fuck! Why are they here? What do they want? They're not here for some noble and polite reason, I can be certain about that.

Why have they come this early in the morning? Why was everyone in such a state? Why are they scared?

So many questions and, yet, so little answers.

"What do they want?" I try to keep my compositor.
Kenji bites his lip, his hands twitching, clenching and unclenching. "They said that they need to speak with you... and if they didn't they'd-..."
"They'd do what Kenji?!" I exploded!
"They had guns, bombs and they set off the arms, waking everyone up. Once everyone was outside their rooms, thinking they would be going to either their station or the invasion bunker, but they shot some of the men who came out of their rooms, threatened to kill everyone if we don't, and I quote, 'shut the fuck up and listen to what we say, if you do, we may spare your family's and loved ones lives, your mothers, fathers, sons and daughters - and, if you're all externally good, I may spear you your own lives as well'."

I roll my eyes, of course they would say that, they're fucking psychopaths. I should have known they'd come here and throw some kind of pantomime.

"Oh," is all I can say. I think they're both pricks, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I'm shit scared of them. "Are they like, really livid?"
Kenji lets out a loud and angry huff. "That's an understatement."

"I- I don't want to see them." I whisper, I don't want anyone, apart from our little friendship group, to hear.
"Love," Aaron sighed. "I'm not going to make you do anything you don't feel comfortable doing but, in this situation, it's crucial that you see what they want." He takes hold of my hand, "I'm going to be there, right besides you".

I take a deep, long breath and walk, hand in hand with Aaron, into conference room nine, where two figures and sitting at the large table.

Shit.
————
Word count: 867