Chapter 56 - Battlefield

⚠️TW⚠️
War
Blood
Injury detail
Mention of trauma
Mention of abuse
Mention of torture
————
JULIETTE'S POV:
The next morning comes around, me and Aaron get ready for the battle, well the fake battle - the distraction. I wouldn't say I was scared, maybe more uncomfortable with the idea of abandoning my soldiers and going off doing a completely different task. I just feel guilty for abandoning them in battle.

"Juliette?" Aarons voice snapped me back into reality. "Are you ready to leave?"

I look around me, I'm standing outside, next to a tank with Aaron, Kenji, Castle, Adam, Winston and Brendon.

"Yes," I confirm. Me, Kenji, Castle and, a hesitant Adam - Aaron was giving his brother a look that could kill someone. Winston driving and Brendon in the passenger seat.

When we take our seats in the back of the tank I can only concentrate on Adam and Aaron's silent argument. The looks of hatred and unspoken fear from Adam.
"Stop it. Don't have a fight on the way to a war. Come on." I huff.
"He will not get away with what he did to you, my love." Aaron refused to stop his glare at his brother.
Adam, however, broke the trancing look the second he got the opportunity. He looks down at his hands.
"After this,do whatever you like with him, but right now, I need you both to focus on keeping yourself alive." I groan.
"I think that's a wonderful idea, Miss Ferras." Castle adds - he seems like he is just as awkward as me.
———
The rest of the journey is silent, I'm thankful for the silence.

"We're here." Brendon opened the back of the tank. We all get out and look at our surroundings.

We are in the middle of a deserted place, there's nothing in sight - only a hill that should be where, if the spy gave Sebastian the information I told the soldiers, the RARE's should be standing behind that hill.

"Formation!" Aaron shouts, I would have no idea what to do, how to get the soldiers in the right place. "Forward march!" He shouts again.

We all walk up the hill then at the top the RARE's become visible, they stand there in formation guns all aimed at us. "Attack!" Sebastian's voice called. I take this as the time to signal for me, Aaron and Kenji to depart from the rest of our army.
I clench and unclench my fists five times, that's our signal.

We all sneak, within the firearm battlefield, around it the entrance to the underground base - just like we planned.

"Perfect" Kenji says as soon as we reach the entrance.
"This is not perfect, we just left all our soldiers behind to die," I say with a shouting whisper.
"It's okay, love, the sooner we get in then out, the sooner we can get back and stop the fighting." Aaron places a reassuring hand on my back.
"Alright," I huff.

We walk in. Through the doors that lead to the underground stairwell. The, once we've gotten to the bottom of the steps there's a steel door. I'm the only one within us three that hasn't walked here or around this base, I was brought into the room that Aaron found me unconscious, then I was unconscious when I was taken out of here.
"Are you ready?" Aaron asked, clicking the buttons on a PIN code onto a key code panel. I couldn't see the code but it was some combination of symbols.
The light above the door turned from red to green, Aaron pushed the door open. We are in.

After searching around various rooms we come to the room I held captive in, the room that's connected to Sebastian's office. "I'm not so sure I can handle going in there. Would it be okay if I waited out here, I'll be watching out." I stammer. "Are you sure you'll be okay?" Aaron asked.
"Yes, I'll be okay." I give him a reassuring smile. Then Aaron gives me a brief kiss and both of them disappear through the doors.
As soon as I hear the door shut I wake off down the hall. Trying to find the door to my parents room and office. I scan the name badges on all the doors:

MR SMITHS
MISS LILLIE
MR & MRS THOMPSON
MR WALKER
MRS GREY
MISS HARRISON

Then I spot the door labelled;

MR & MRS FERRAS

I open the door with the face recognition lock, I use an old photo I kept in the back of my journal in the asylum - it worked. I'm in.

I step into the room, a double bed covered in a dark blue duvet - two dark oak bedside tables and a bookshelf stocked with books.
First I searched the bedside tables, finding a small, grey key. I take it and move over to the other table. Nothing. I reach for books on the bookshelf, they all seem to be surprisingly new, except one. It's brownish coated in leather. I don't think I've seen a book this old before - it looks centuries old. I reach for it and pull it off the shelf, but the bookcase swings open, knocking me to the floor. I feel blood running from just above my eyebrow. I hit it on the side of the swinging bookshelf. I wipe free of the blood from down my face. Then make my way through the passage.
————
Word count: 906