Fate Changed (The End Of It All)

A/N: Did I really just finish the entire book in one chapter? Yes ma'am. Read thoroughly and enjoy!

Severus's death left far more of an impact than any of them imagined. Lily was conflicted and confused about her emotions. She didn't know what to say, in ways she didn't want to say anything.

James had stayed behind, watching from a few feet away as the golden trio and Lily knelt by Snape's body. As he leaned his head by the doorframe of the tabby shrieking shack, he set in his mind that it would be best for him and Snape to not see each other at that moment.

If he was in that position, the last person he'd want to see—seconds away from death—would be his sworn enemy from school. That was most likely something the two would agree on.

With bittersweet hearts, the five of them rejoined Regulus. Harry clutched the flask of Snape's tears tightly as he could hear Hermione and Ron catch Regulus up on what he missed.

Whilst they were walking, words echoed in all of their ear once more. The familiar voice of Voldemort lured Harry to go to the forbidden forest. James and Lily exchanged hopeless expressions, unknowing of just Harry would do.

The battle had significantly simmered down from before, there were barely any death eaters in plain sight.

The moment they'd step foot in the courtyard, they noticed it was completely abandoned. With the exception of a few small fires, all that was left of the place was scattered broken pillars and parts of what would be the castle.

It was a gutting sight.

However, that wasn't the moment they'd realized what it really meant for a war to happen. It was when they opened the doors to the great hall.

Many of the people were there. Regulus's frown deepened further as he saw bodies littering the floor, set in rows. Some were still conscious, but only barely.

They could see Madam Pomfrey running from one place to another to tend to as many injured people as possible.

An unwelcome wave of anxiety struck down in his stomach as Regulus realized that he hadn't seen Sirius anywhere around yet. As if someone else possessed him, he pushed past his friends, desperately looking for the familiar face.

James felt someone's hand on his shoulder push him back slightly, he turned and saw Regulus pace forward. For a moment his mind was blank, but the moment he peered over to the other's faces, he understood.

They continued to walk, with each step feeling like the weight of the world. Harry's face hardened as he tried to avoid locking eyes with anyone. He didn't know what he would say. All that rang in his mind as he saw the sea of bodies was a mantra of one sentence.

'All of these people are dead because of me'

His eyes couldn't pull themselves away from all of the people, the students, the parents, the children. A tap on his hand broke him away from his thoughts. Harry's eyes trailed up and found the face of his former professor, Remus. His sunken, aged coffee eyes were still warm, but they held something in them that Harry hated.

Sadness.

Grief.

The older Remus gestured to the purple-haired woman lying on the ground. Harry lips trembled at the sight of Tonks lying there. Her body still and her face holding a calmness that he could remember seeing on Sirius's the time he died.

Remus muttered something along the lines that she fought til the very end. But his words were barely comprehensible, as the man's voice was cracking too. Harry forced his eyes away from the body, to where he saw Regulus hugging a distraught Sirius tightly a few feet away from him. The younger Remus and Peter talking to McGonnagal about something at Harry's right.