Chapter Ninety-Eight

You didn't receive a call from BLU Medic that night, but you tried not to worry about it too much. Still, the fear that someone already caught you two was... prevalent. You were currently getting ready to go get introduced to another map. Supposedly, this would've been the last one, as Engie told you that they've only been employed about seven months, and you were employed for one. There's a lot of room on this gravel land the Mann Brothers own, but you had to wonder what else they'd want from you... it's not like you were very clear-headed when signing the work contract.

I was just really excited! Still, it wasn't wise, and I was naive. In a lot of ways, I kind of still am. I don't know what I'm doing after everything. I don't know if I even want to try to handle online college throughout all of this.

You smiled despite the feeling of disappointment creeping up your neck, remembering the uproar your friends had trying to get you to learn a certain language. I guess there's nothing stopping me even without a class.... You sighed while handling your hair.

I know I put too much pressure on myself. I've always been an overachiever, and the thought of not going to college right after graduation feels like I'm letting someone down. The only issue, well, many issues with that is there's no problem with a gap year or no college in general, and I don't know who I'd be letting down: Me or my dad?

You cringed while remembering your dad. You don't want to go back, but the idea that the mere choice was stripped of you so... easily, well, it hurt. I've never known my dad to really overreact, but I'm starting to realize that I don't know them at all, honestly. Mom and Dad have always felt like they're in their own world, and I would orbit around it long enough to get noticed sometimes. Maybe that's why I was a top choice to be recruited....

I don't even know what I'd want to study. You strapped on your gear and tightened the holster on your back. Not to mention how much it would cost. Sure, I'm getting paid, but affording college sounds daunting for not even having a go plan. I might justify it if I had ideas of majors I'd like to learn about, but I'm worried that if I add that stress onto my unavoidable workaholic nature, I wouldn't survive my job.

Ideally, this job wouldn't be forever, so I'd want to go to college to try to enjoy school. Still, is it worth worrying over right now?

You dawned your jacket, getting one last look in the mirror. You looked different from when you were with your parents. A good difference, you think, but definitely different.

I think I'm worried about the Mann Brothers catching on to what I'm doing. What kind of power would they hold when firing me? I can handle the teams knowing what I'm doing, even if I hadn't told my own yet, but my dusty boss? It's not like an old man hellbent on winning was ever seen as empathetic and collected.

For now, you were going to finish making your connections to the other team. From there, hopefully the opportunities that come with it will dawn on you.

Besides, you have a job to do today.

You did one final check before heading out of your room and making your way to the garage. You didn't mean to take as long as you did, but you'd be on time still. You get up way too early to be late.

"Morning," you announced yourself as you closed the door to the base behind you.

"Roight on time," Sniper commented as you hopped into the back of the bread truck. You had a feeling that he might be trying to tease you, but you wanted to see where he'd go.

"As long as I'm not late." You shrugged, sitting down next to him.

"That's not loike you, Sheila."

"Well, I can't be perfectly early every day." You laughed it off.