Chapter One Hundred and Two

You were upset you lost, sure, but you were mainly concerned with other more important things. Why did Demo ditch us? Do I go to the BLU Base? Is that safe? How do I get there? Unfortunately, that didn't help you focus on the ride home. You knew you probably looked angry and butt-hurt about Demo's actions, but it wasn't what you meant. I'm sure he had a genuine reason for it, right? I'm honestly worried it had something to do with the BLU Soldier, if anything.

No one tried to open a conversation with you in the truck, either. Demo looked anxious, but as he looked around every so often, Scout glared at him. I feel awful that I helped ruin that battle for him. I meant to be a good teammate to Scout.

Your mind occupied different ways to make it onto the BLU's base. You knew how to drive, but you knew any one of your team members would not only question your need to drive somewhere but where you'd be going. I wish I could use Quinn as an excuse, but they haven't reached out in a long time. Maybe our meeting was meant to be a one-time thing. Of course you couldn't get away with stealing a car. Not only would it be hard to sneak one out, you would worry everyone or even get fired. It would ruin everything.

However, the truck had parked in your garage, and it was time to get out. Silently, everyone moved to hop out on their own. No one made a move to stop you as you headed to your room. I can work this out, but I really need a shower. Pyro's suit is no joke.

You were admittedly confused to hear someone knock on your door after you stepped out of your bathroom. You had just finished getting dressed. Spy's French lessons? You inwardly groaned at the thought. I don't know if I want to handle that right now. Still, you decided to cross your bedroom and open the door. It was Demo.

"Uh, Lass? May I come in?" He asked, and it was painfully obvious just how nervous he was. He fidgeted with his hands before quickly stuffing them in his pockets, an anxious smile adorning his lips.

"Yeah, of course," you agreed and moved aside to let him in. He should know that I'm not upset with him.

"Thank you." He walked into your room, and you gestured to the bed while closing the door. He gingerly sat down as you took a seat in your desk chair. "I-... I wanted ta apologize for mah crummy behavior." You took in a deep breath, worried once more about how nervous and guilty the man looked.

"I'm not mad at you. If anything, I was just worried something happened. I knew you wouldn't just ditch us, and part of me thinks Scout overreacted a bit. I shouldn't have given you such a crucial role. Too much could have gone wrong, and it would have put the blame on you when it was my own poor planning skills." You were holding the sides of your chair, finishing your thoughts before Demo could cut you off.

"No! Lass, no. That bloody kid always gets pent up about somethin', but he had a point. Sure, I trust the Doc with his work, but I... your chip still isn't confirmed. We shouldn't 'ave let the battle get to that point anyway. I was on mah way to the point, right on time, but I... got distracted and a bloody Spy attacked me." Demo spoke with such earnesty that it tugged on your heartstrings a little. That explains why he looked barely alive on the tablet, and why he was covered in cuts.

"...Was it the BLU Soldier?" Demo's lips formed a tight line, his brows furrowing uncomfortably.

"I'd prefer if we didn't discuss it."

"Was it?"

"Lass-"

"Demo, I want to respect your boundaries, but I'm worried I triggered something after I told you we talked. I need to know if you're okay." Demo sighed.

"Yer always lookin' out fer others.... Alright, fine. I'll tell ya. Least I could do, anyways." You couldn't help but smile softly at him. "I... We, the Soldier an' I, were friends. We'd go out ta bars every so often, and I considered him a good pal. So, consider me surprised when Miss Pauling told me he'd betrayed me. I don't know how the lass found out, but it made us fight. Only after we finished did we know we were manipulated inta hatin' each other. I felt so guilty that I... I could never apologize."