Chapter Ten

After the service your family headed home and you promptly dropped your backpack beside the door.

"So, care to tell me more about this envelope honey?" Your mom asked your dad.

"Uh, yeah. Here," he handed to your mother. "(Y/n)'s been accepted into a special school of some sort in New Mexico."

"That's so far away, why would they look here?" She eyed the envelope, and then at you as if you had the answer.

"Maybe they couldn't find anyone else near their area," your dad laughed after this. "A whole group of people dressed in a crazy fashion gave it to me. The one wearing a hardhat acted professional, though. I'm not sure if I want to look into it."

"Well, before we look at this, (Y/n), do you know these people? I mean, have you met them before, seen them around?"

"Er, yes I do. Some of them I've met on campus, actually, but I don't know why. We've met two of them before. I think their names were Mikhail and Mundy, remember?" You answered.

"Oh yes! Now I do. Oh they must be wonderful people. Honey can you please look into it?" She gave puppy eyes to your father.

"You know I can't with work..." Your father sighed and her puppy eyes worsened. "Alright, fine."

"Yay, thank you!" Your mother hugged him like a little child. He chuckled and hugged her back. You beamed at the scene. "Let's read the letter first."

"That would be a good idea," your father said, laughing.

With one arm around your father, your mom opened the envelope and read the letter inside with your dad. After a few moments, they looked back up from the page. Your mother looked joyous and your father did also, but had a hint of suspicion shown in between.

"It's just as I expected, they're talking about your grades, the school, and what-not. There's a part you need to read. While you do that, your mother and I are going to discuss this in another room," your father told you sternly, handing you a slip of paper and leading your mother into their bedroom. You shrugged and opened it.

"Dear Miss (L/n),

Now I know you must be confused about the men you have been seeing in your location, but I am inclined to explain upon your agreement. My name is Miss Pauling. I am an assistant to a woman running a powerful, secret organization held in Teufort. She, my boss, has chosen you to become a part of a team here under the alias that you are going to a special school. You will specialize in combat training to participate as a mercenary. Do not worry about the state of your life, you will not lose it on our team, at least not for very long. We have recruited you due to your ability to learn immensely fast and your athletic skills such as your aim with a gun from a report sent in by Sniper, or as you'd call him: Mundy. You may question the validity of my letter, but ask yourself how I seem to know all of this.

If you desire to attend college online, your tuition will be fully paid for upon your acceptance. We will have an official greeting once you arrive at base. Here you can achieve your full potential and broaden your career choices with us at Teufort.

I plan to see you there

-Miss Pauling"

You stared at the letter for a few more moments, eyes wide. How did she know? What am I dealing with? ...Will I finally satisfy my dad?

You wanted to go if it'll give you better career choices and you could still do school. After all, it was all he ever really cared about. Still, you can't control your worries. What will happen to my friends? Will I ever come back home? Will the other people believe I went on to a better school? Will they even notice I'm gone? Before you could send yourself into a panic, your parents came out of the room with your mother looking triumphant.

"Your father will look into it right away sweetie, and if all goes well, you and I can leave for Teufort in two days," She told you, beaming. Your father shook his head, defeated.

"I'll get right on it, but no one goes without my say, alright?" Your father warned. You and your mother nodded and he went upstairs into his office for some intense research.

"How about we have some lunch? Knowing him, he'll have an answer by dinner time," your mother said, beckoning you to the kitchen.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

After hours of anticipation and picking at your food, your father announced his decision.

"Ahem," your father cleared his throat for your attention. "I have come to a conclusion, th-"

"Well what is it?" Your mother squealed, looking more anticipated than you'd ever be in your life.

"I was about to say the answer is...

No."