Chapter Nine

You were sitting on a park-like wooden bench outside of your local church working on a textbook. You didn't really want to attend, but your dad dragged you here anyway. It was early in the morning, maybe about seven o'clock. Thankfully, your dad didn't force you to go in as long as you worked on more college prep books.

You looked at the practice math question staring at you in the stupid journal. It wasn't hard, not at all, but you didn't feel like it. Sighing, you reluctantly picked up your pencil and worked it out. It was more calculus. You checked your work for more time before checking it in the back of the book. You couldn't even be excited that you got it right.

"Nice job darlin'. You didn't lie when you told me about those AP classes. What college were ya enrollin' with again?" a voice asked behind you. You jumped in your seat and turned around.

"Uh, yeah! I mean, thanks!" You managed to stutter out, finding Dell to be about two feet behind you. Your eyes widened as you realized every single suspicious man was here, from the people at the campus to even the one in the flame-resistant suit. You noticed Dr. Ludwig lightly scoff and roll his eyes at you. Noticing this, you felt your cheeks heat up.

"Yes, zees iz a mountain of work. If you weren't so foolish, I would respect you more," a new voice popped up to your right. Quickly turning to see the owner of the voice, you saw the "Spy" guy appear out of thin air! How the hell did that just happen?

In your shock you could only let out a simple "Huh?" and grow more flustered at the pile of notebooks and papers from college prep books taking up the entire table. Spy simply scoffed at you and stood next to Dr. Ludwig.

Soon, excluding the suit man and Dr. Ludwig crowded around you and your work, they all studied your work with prying eyes. Oh god why can't I move? You turned and saw Mundy and Mikhail peering at your geography work.

"Good job mate, you got Australia perfectly drawn here, and I love the little kangaroo and the fish in the Great Barrier Reef!" Mundy nodded in approval and Mikhail joined him.

"Yes, leetle girl has Russia done well too. I am proud," Mikhail added. You smiled slightly, but it wasn't exactly enough to calm you down.

"Ah, I like the effort you put into studying math. It shows real grit," Dell added while thumbing through your seemingly endless pages of math practice and notes.

"Thank you," you told him. You saw the one in the flame-resistant suit squeal at your doodle of a kitten. "What's their name?" You gestured to him...her...them?

"We just call 'em Pahro," he responded, still going through your notes. Pyro...as in pyromaniac?

"Aya lass, yer proposal for this thing is spot on!" Mr. DeGroot told you from your left. You could swear you saw Dr. Ludwig roll his eyes.

"Thanks, it was a lot of research," you smiled.

"Hey (Y/n)! You got pretty neat handwriting 'ere. Hey Soldier, come look at this!" Scout showed Soldier your nearly finished English essay. Despite having a digital copy, you worried that something might happen to it and you tensed up.

"PAH! Like I'D read THAT!" Soldier announced and tore the paper in two. Everyone else went quiet as you slowly turned your head at him, losing your mood. You inwardly groaned. And I was afraid of these people why?

You gave him a look devoid of any emotion, but you continued to stare at him. He jumped and stood stiff, assumingly to hide how unnerved he became. You took a deep breath through your nose..., and slowly got off the bench, never keeping your gaze off him. You walked over to him, stared at him from under his helmet, and picked up the two strips of your former essay. He had a nervous, weary look in his eyes. Let's test this.

Then to his surprise, you busted out laughing.

"Oh, my g-," you broke mid-sentence to gasp for air. Soldier nervously laughed alongside you. "How do you think I'd actually hurt you? Take your friend's knife over there and stab you with it? Hah!"

You gestured to Spy, and his eyes couldn't help but widen in most likely surprise. How wary should I be of them? Will they respond well to this? That's when Soldier finally started genuinely laughing. Soon everyone joined in, except for Dr. Ludwig and Spy.

"I got a digital copy, so don't worry about it. It's fine, but don't rip anything else though, okay?" You told Soldier. He stiffly nodded as if following an order. It seems they aren't too threatening. Can I get out of here safely if I have to run?

After a moment of calm silence, Dr. Ludwig smoothly came over with Spy slowly following along. He studied your work with piercing eyes before sighing. "I guess I can't see anything vrong vith it." You turned and smiled at him.

"Thanks!" You chuckled. He acted surprised, backing off as if he'd been swung at.

"(Y/n)," you heard your dad call to you.

"Hey Dad," you turned to the building as he closed the door behind him. He walked over. Good. Having someone here would be good.

"Are you her guardian?" Dell asked.

"Yes, I am," he responded, holding a hand out to shake. "What can I help you with?"

"I'm Dell Conagher," he shook your father's hand. "I'm a part of a reach-out program for high-performing graduates." They set down the handshake and your father listened intently, not seeming to care how everyone was dressed. "My cohorts and I felt personally obligated to reach out to you for a new college in Teufort, New Mexico." He handed your father an envelope.

"Huh..., well. The wife and I will have to talk about it but thank you. This would mean a lot to her." Despite your father's tone, Dell smiled and nodded. "Well (Y/n), it's time to go in, pack your stuff up before more people get here and mess with it." He went back inside.

Nodding, you swiftly put everything into a backpack.

"Well, bye," you waved to them as you put a strap on your shoulder. Most of them waved back before you turned around. Good save, Dad.