The Wrong Way to Put Out a Fire

In a dark room, 8 year old Keigo Takami watched the disaster that was being displayed on the news from his TV. There had apparently been a fire at the refinery on some island, and a number of workers appeared to be left behind. Or so it seemed...

"It's fine now." A voice said before a man dropped from the sky and landed on the ground. "Why? Because I am here." The man said as it was revealed to be All Might, who had the workers on his back.

Keigo was in awe from what he saw as All Might began to laugh. The screen swapped to show an attack while the headline said, 'Live: Villain appears in urban area'.

"Flashfire Fist..." Flying through the smoke was Endeavor, who was charging toward the Villain whose Quirk was a mutant type and made him into an elephant. "Jet Burn!"

The Elephant Villain groaned in pain as the fire blasted out of his back before he fell over from the pain. "You lost because you came up against me." Endeavor said while the crowd cheered for him.

"Heroes were always... on the other side of the TV." Hawks thought as Keigo was shown to be in the roof of a building, scouting out for any Heroes, but none were in the area. "I thought of them as separate from reality, like fictitious beings from my dreams."

A slap sound was heard as it came from a small, run-down house that was far from the city. "Keigo!" His abusive father called out to him after he smacked him. "What didja go to town for?! Didja think I wouldn't found out? Insolent kid! What Didja go for?! Huh? Didja go to sell me out?! Who didja sell me out to? Didja think I wouldn't find out?!"

In the background, Keigo's mother Tomie was clicking the button of the remote for the TV, trying to turn it on, but to no avail.

"My wings... were tingling... I thought maybe something had happened in town... But it stopped, so I came home before I did anything." Keigo replied. "No one saw me."

"Don't lie!" His father retorted. "Don't talk to anyone! Don't leave the house! Don't do anything!"

"Hey... The TV won't turn on..." Tomie muttered to her husband while two pairs of eyeballs floated around her. "Huh?! Who cares?!"

"Hey, don't run away, 'Kay?" She asked him. "Hurry up and find another job!" The man retorted while Keigo picked up a flootboard and took it with him.

"Apparently, my father killed someone over a small amount of money in the past." Hawks noted while Keigo put the floorboard in the missing holes in the floor. "As he was escaping, my mother hid him, and I was born after that."

"Move!" His father demanded, kicking his son as he landed on the trash bags. "Don't turn your back on me! How many times do I hafta tell ya?!"

"I'm sorry." Keigo apologized while his father walked towards the fridge and started looking inside of it. "I shouldn't've relied on Tomie's Quirk... No, if only Tomie hadn't had this kid... If only he hadn't been born, I would've still been free!"

"Hey, don't run away, 'kay?" Tomie muttered to herself. "Because both my father and mother were broken, I bore it, hoping that I wouldn't turn out like them. If I kept bearing it... If time passed... Surely..."

"Your father was caught..." Keigo was in shock when he heard that from his mother. "Huh?"

"What should we do, Keigo? He stole a car to escape, but then he was caught... by Endeavor."

"Endeavor..." When realizing who the name belonged to, in the child's mind, he saw the plushy of the Number Two Hero that he held onto glow bright, like it was a light of hope. "In that instant, fiction became reality. Someone I had only seen in TV—a Hero—really existed."