[FANTASY] HERO by LadyofthePond

HERO by LadyofthePond

Maisie was meant to be a hero. It's the family business, after all. But unlike her father and brothers, she has no powers - a dangerous condition in a world where the criminals she's fighting to bring down can take a drug and gain the superpowers she doesn't have. With Flight, ordinary people can experience a few hours of being demigods - some of the time. Other times, it can drive them insane, turning their newly gained abilities into weapons of mass destruction. When a drug raid goes wrong, Maisie finds herself embroiled in a deeper conspiracy surrounding Flight, with threads leading all the way back to her father's youth. Alone and outmatched, the only person she has to turn to is the brother who made her life hell as a child, and all the while, Flight exerts its own dark draw . . .

- It's really good. It features a world where many people have superpowers and those people are treated like celebrities--the main character Maisie is born to a very famous superhero celebrity family and despite having no powers of her own needs to stop a conspiracy involving both her family and some bad guys. (Pandean)

- The most central theme in the book (at least in my opinion) is power. How people wield, the hierarchy in relation to that power and how it basically shapes the world LadyOfThePond has built. I stayed up all night reading the story and what kept me glued was Maisie. She's such a well written character. I mean, she has no powers and the knowledge of that weighs her down from time to time, she never lets it fully get to her, oh and her dry humour also helps, lol. It's not exactly a good versus bad story, because every one believes they're in the right, doing something that matters. But I still find myself rooting for Maisie, because well, her brothers are cute and she's very relatable, you can't help but be on her side. I found the book via a writing group both Anna and me were on. And I'm glad I did. (Deborahsaurus)

- I'm really loving this well-told tale. Maisie is so easy to relate to, and the underlying conflicts are well-thought-out. (MarkAshWood)

Love this book? Add your thoughts in the comments!

Have another recommendation? Submit it in the RECOMMENDATIONS chapter!

Find yourself tagged? Congratulations! Your book has been recommended as a 'must read' on Wattpad! Consider passing the goodwill forward by suggesting a recommendation of your own and giving this book a shout-out!