[HORROR] THE FALLOW by Fairytale_Fabler [Mature]

THE FALLOW by Fairytale_Fabler

In the not-so-distant future . . . and if a cult could rule what remains of the world . . .

While Portsmith is undergoing its annual Delinquency Purge, Herald and his team of rebellious writers--Virtue, Law, Blasphemy, Parody, Doxy, Hearsay, Gospel, and Corollary--are hiding in the watch room of a lighthouse. Their island sanctuary, provided by the one they call "Captain," is almost too good to be true. The ocean views are breathtaking, the apples are ripe and fresh from the orchard, and Herald hasn't had a problem keeping warm at night.

But Herald can never escape the truth. Their crimes are punishable by death or the unthinkable, and Herald is at risk more than anyone. And Virtue, the girl he is completely and recklessly in love with, must conform to the Maineland's polygamous tradition or risk becoming Fallow, a barren lifestyle a woman must endure if she refuses to play by the rules. Though Virtue's charm and beauty are entrancing, any husband she desires surely in her power to obtain, she's forced to make an immediate decision--love or material comfort. But has she forgotten? She's a woman and "choice" abandons her. It's all one nightmare or another. Her fate is in God's hands, and in Portsmith, that isn't very reassuring. . . .

- What happens in a world where the spoken word is shielded? When women are either wives aplenty under the charge of one husband or left derelict in Fallowhood? In 'The Fallow', this dystopian romance story unfolds into a world neither fair nor equal. The horror aspect of this story is creeping and evident around every corner. Imagine having to watch your steps, actions, even your words carefully or be prepared for the grave consequences. Expertly character driven, each one undeniably distinct yet united in a common goal. It will be very hard to choose your favorite, and if you do find one...don't get too attached. Easier said than done! Seriously, these names alone are genius. Join Herald, Virtue, Law, Blasphemy, Gospel, Corollary, Hearsay, Captain, Doxy and Parody down a path of no return. (_Somethinggreater_)

- The characters in this story are amazing and even though this took me out of my comfort zone, to a twisted dystopian future which really made me cringe, the darkness is balanced with humour and camaraderie and hope. A band of rebel writer take on the Authority and turn into unlikely heroes. (MayaR-31)

Love this book? Add your thoughts in the comments!  

Have another recommendation? Submit it in the RECOMMENDATIONS chapter!

Find yourself tagged? Congratulations! Your book has been recommended as a 'must read' on Wattpad! Consider passing the goodwill forward by suggesting a recommendation of your own and giving this book a shout-out!