Chapter 15

The next morning, Aby, Josh and I reach the campus twenty minutes earlier than usual, so we head to the canteen and grab our coffees. A group of girls squeaks and clicks several pictures next to our table. I whine at the thought of having another event in the college. The basketball tournament completely changed the course of my life.

"Today is Derek's birthday!", Josh squeaks and jumps up from his seat. It takes a while for me to register this piece of information given by Josh. I look around to find several pictures of Derek hung around the entire campus with birthday wishes written on it, thus confirming that its Derek's birthday today.

The 'college Romeo's birthday is not less than any big event. I curse myself for not looking at the surroundings when I entered the campus. The entire campus is covered with blue colored decorations and Derek's pictures. Most of the girls are dressed in blue and are way too excited to celebrate Derek's birthday.

Flashes of yesterday strikes my mind. Derek was caught asking for drugs on the night of his birthday. He wasn't even in home with his family. All these decorations in the campus seems so useless to me because I know all of this will never matter to Derek. 

"Blue is Derek's favorite color. So every year when you realize that the entire campus looks nothing but blue then you should understand that its Derek's birthday", Aby informs me. I like the way Derek has so much importance in the campus. All are way too excited for his birthday, but I wish he is able to see the love all around him.

I need to buy a present for Derek. But I am unaware of his tastes and dislikes. I feel like a complete idiot for behaving rudely with Derek last night. It was his birthday and I annoyed him like hell. I need to compensate for everything by giving a wonderful gift to Derek that he will like. Now that I know he likes the color blue, I need to buy something that makes him very happy. But where is Derek? Its his birthday today and he is found no where in the campus.

"Where is Derek? Shouldn't we buy him some present?", I look at Aby nervously. After what she told me last night, I shouldn't have asked her this. But surprisingly Aby smiles at me nodding her head.

"Derek is never in college on his birthdays. Its only on the next day he finds his locker filled with lots and lots of gifts and chocolates. Its always been the same every year", Aby tells and sighs.

"Where is Derek?", I ask. The more I get to know the facts about Derek, the more I am attracted to him. The small details of his life makes him more important to me.

"Nobody knows about that. You can ask him when he comes back tomorrow", Aby says and leaves the canteen. Where could Derek probably be on his birthday? Maybe he goes to his house in Manhattan and intends to celebrate his birthday with his family.

My first class of interior designing goes on very well. Miss Saniola is very supportive and kind. I thoroughly enjoyed her session. I come out of the building to get some air. I need to come up with an idea to make Derek happy on his birthday, and the best way is to buy him some present. But what?

I look around and my heart fills with joy when I notice Isha entering the campus. She is not alone. She is accompanied by a middle aged women. The women doesn't look old at all. She looks extremely pretty and is wearing a plain pink colored jump suit. Isha instantly sees me and smiles. I walk towards her.

"Hey! its so good to see you again", Isha says and pulls me into a hug. The women next to her smiles at me. She also has a very adorable smile. 

"This is my mom and her name is Kay", Isha introduces me to the women. Derek's mother looks so pretty and I know from where he got such good looks.

"Hi dear. Isha told me about you. I just came here because its Derek's birthday today. You guys keep talking and I'll be back soon", Kay says and walks away from us immediately. I am confused at her behavior. Is Derek not at home? Doesn't Kay know about Derek not being in the college?

"I am so sorry. Mom just doesn't get it. I know Derek isn't here in the campus. In fact even mom knows it, but she just wouldn't accept it. She comes here every year to wish Derek, but what she gets is only disappointment", Isha's eyes fills with tears. Some past wounds of her is clearly visible in her blue eyes. She quickly wipes her tears and tries hard to smile. I am sure that Derek is not home. Where else could he possibly be?

After almost two hours, Kay returns back. Disappointment is clearly seen on her face. My heart aches at her condition.

"Well I know he isn't here", Kay tries to fake a smile.

Kay shakes her head and looks at me, "I know this weekend Isha has invited you to her house. But I would really like if you could come over to my place instead. Isha will let you know the address. Please?"

Nobody can refuse such a sweet invitation. Kay is so sweet and I can never refuse her. I nod in agreement and her face lights up. Kay pulls me into a tight hug and kisses my forehead.

"I will be waiting for you. Isha is really lucky that she found a friend like you", Kay says and leaves with Isha. I am sure that Kay doesn't know about me and Derek. I can feel her pain and I can say that Derek is not on good terms with his mother. Probably because of that he is into so many toxic activities like drugs and smoking. When I go to Kay's house for the weekend I will make sure that I ask her about all of this.