Chapter 40

"I still remember it was my sixteenth birthday, Rose and Isha had planned a small surprise for me. They always planned some surprise for me, with no reason, just to make me happy. That day, Rose had planned to gift me a new cycle and Isha took care of not letting me know about it.   When the cycle was in front of me, it was completely burnt. Kay burnt it because it was the last savings of our family. No more money was left with us not even for school. She was frustrated and angry at us. Rose tried to stop her from burning, but couldn't. That was my last present that can I ever remember and you want me to go to that woman?"

Hearing to Derek, I try to understand the situation. I always adored Kay, but after hearing this incident, my opinion about Kay is slightly changing. I can feel the pain of a sixteen year old boy who saw this terrible incident in front of his eyes, his mom burning his new cycle on his birthday because she was angry? Derek is like this, because of his mom. 

I know I shouldn't have told him to go to the family dinner. Kay will be there and he wouldn't keep his calm, but after all he has two lovely sisters and at least for them, he need to go back home. Derek needs to let go off his past. I know Kay loves him a lot, she is his mother and no mother can stop loving their children. Because of the horrible situation in the past, Derek can't hate Kay. He don't have enough reasons to hate her and I need him to know this.

I slowly open the door. Derek is standing right in front of the me. His eyes are shiny and his face holds a frown. I take a step closer to Derek and wrap my arms around him. He pulls me closer and buries his head in my neck. I rub his back trying to comfort him and he kisses my hair.

We pull away and look at each other. Derek's eyes holds so much pain and my heart aches to see him like this. 

"I am so sorry Jazz... I will make sure that the video is deleted and nobody will dare to talk any rubbish about you", Derek says and I cup his cheek. Yes, this is the Derek I love so much. I am happy that he apologized to me and spoke to me once without yelling.

"Its Ok Derek. But I need you to promise me one thing", I say. 

"What?"

"I will ask for it when the time comes", I say and Derek's tries to fight a smile. I let out a small chuckle and Derek joins me. 

"Smart huh?", Derek raises a brow at me and pulls me against his chest. 

"I think we need to do something crazy", Derek whispers in my ears. Who is he? Where is Derek? I cant believe that he is actually wanting to do something crazy. I saw how happy and carefree he was at Tom's. I can never forget our first date.

"Let's go out", Derek says looking into my eyes. 

"Now?", I ask unsure. Is he asking me to bunk classes? However I don't think I can handle the buzz around me today. I am too tired and exhausted for any other drama.

"Now", Derek says firmly and pulls me with him, outside the bathroom. As we step out, all eyes widen seeing me and Derek together coming out from the ladies washroom. I try to fight a smile looking at Derek, but I stay quiet. I just love the way he can change my mood within seconds. I was crying so badly minutes ago and now I am happy and I feel better.

"No one will tell Jessie anything and if I find her crying again, everyone's dead", Derek says casually and shrugs not caring for anyone. His attitude gives everyone a stern warning and I smile at him. The crowd around us, quietly starts dispersing and Derek wraps his hand around mine.

We make our way out of the campus and Derek pulls onto the highway. I look at him and he is happy. The streets are not much crowded and there is no traffic at all. I turn On my phone and quickly text Aby saying that I am with Derek and I am absolutely fine. I don't want her to worry about me so its better to inform her before in hand. 

"All fine?", Derek asks and I give him a childish smile. He shakes his head and chuckles. I love to see him like this, happy without any worries. 

"Where are we going?", I finally ask him. I have no idea where is he taking me. 

"Wait and watch", Derek says and I give him a startled look. He laughs and concentrates on the driving. 

We are no longer on the busy streets. We are driving on a calm and silent road, surrounded by tall trees and it looks like we are at the countryside. I look out of the window and the cool breeze hits on my face. Meanwhile, Derek stops the car at the beginning of a gravel road. I look around to see nothing but trees. We are in the middle of a forest and I wonder where is this place actually. The worn out path beneath us gives me a feeling that this place is in the outskirts of the city. You can hear the chirping of birds, the sound of the wind, leaves rustling and the sound of our footsteps. It is so calm and so peaceful and I already like this place.

"Where are we?", I ask Derek as I follow him down the gravel road. He gives me a small smile and continues on his path. I follow him quietly without asking any further questions. I don't want Derek to get annoyed and spoil his mood.

"Derek, what is the best memory you have with Roseline?", I ask and mentally slap myself. My curiosity can put me in trouble. I didn't want to annoy him and here, I am asking him about his family. That's it, now we are going back. Derek will either start yelling or I will start crying.

"Well, there are so many", Derek answers me and I am surprised. He didn't get angry on me. So he shouldn't have any problem talking about Roseline. I am safe now.

"There was this girl that I liked in my high school. Her name was Bessie. I remember Rose teaching me how to propose her, how to ask a girl out and how to make her feel comfortable", Derek says and smiles at the memory.

Bessie?

Ok guys.. now there is this new character Bessie. So I know there are so many loopholes and secrets that are unknown in the story. So many questions are unanswered. Don't worry everything will get a clarity as the story proceeds!! I will be uploading the new chapters on alternative days.. pls bare with me.. ha ha..

Thank you for reading.