Chapter 16

The entire day I keep thinking about Derek. Venice has not come today and I dearly miss her. I am not able to concentrate on any of my remaining classes. I need to meet Derek, ask him where he has been on his birthday and why isn't he home. 

The day ends and Josh drives us off the campus. Today I've seen nothing but girls dumping stuffs in Derek's locker. I wonder what those gifts are and again I am in a worry as to what can I gift to Derek. I don't want to dump my gift in his locker, I want to give him right in his hand. I want to see if his face lightens up when he sees my gift or will he frown looking at it.

"I am going to Derek's apartment. You want to join?", Josh says looking at me from the rear view mirror. I know Derek lives with Nick, but will he be there today? If he is, then why didn't Kay meet him there? 

"I think that's not a good idea", Aby says nervously. I do want to meet Derek and wish him, but I don't think I need to go to his apartment. I will never know how will Derek react on seeing me at his apartment. But now I have no other option and I don't intend to waste this opportunity of going to Derek's apartment with Josh. At least I am sure that Derek will behave himself in the presence of Josh. Even if he kicks me out of his apartment, Josh will be there with me.

"Okay I think we should buy him some present", I say confidently. Aby nods and says, "I think its better if you ask Derek what he likes to be gifted. At least you won't end up wasting your money only to hear his rude remarks", Aby laughs and I join her. 

Finally Josh and I drop Aby at the apartment. "Have fun", Aby says as she closes the door. I wave at her and Josh pulls onto the highway. I wanted Derek to see me without my specs. Even if I would be welcomed only with his hurting comments, I wanted him to see the change in my appearance.

After fifteen minutes, Josh pulls up the car in front of a huge concrete building. The block looks familiar. Its only about two miles away from my block and it is quiet and calm. I still cant believe that in a calm neighborhood like this, there are drug dealings done and most importantly Derek is involved in those dealings.

I climb out of the car and take a deep breath. The apartment looks quite old from outside and I wonder why does Derek like living here. 

"Your sure he is here?", I ask Josh and he rubs the back of his neck. I am sure that both of us are not sure about Derek being here.

"Lets see", Josh chuckles and I smile at him. I am very scared to use the elevator, so Josh and I climb the stairs to Derek's apartment. Josh must be a really close friend of Nick and Derek, as he was so sure about the address of the apartment.

We stand in front of door 23. Josh rings the doorbell and I impatiently wait for the door to open. I am nervous and excited at the same time. Josh rings the bell again and it remains unanswered. A light music can be heard from inside. At least Josh should've informed Derek about our visit. "I guess we need to leave", Josh tells me and I nod, agreeing to him.

"Your right. Lets go", I say and can feel the pain in my chest of not seeing Derek increase.

As Josh and I turn on our heels to walk away, the door slams open. Loud music is blaring from inside and Derek is standing right in front of us with a cigarette in his hand. He lowers his eyes into mine and I can feel my stomach stir.

"Hey", Josh says. Derek opens his mouth to say something, but keeps quiet. He is wearing a white T-shirt and his hair is loosely hanging at its sides. Derek looks as attractive each and every time I meet him.

"Can we come in?", I ask reluctantly. Derek seems to be in a good mood. But it takes less than a second for his mood to change. Derek smirks taking a puff of his cigarette. 

"Of course not!", He snaps at me and takes another puff of his cigarette. Its his birthday and he is completely sick. I wonder even if he remembers that today is his birthday.

"Ok we are leaving", I say and turn to walk. Immediately Derek grabs my arm to stop me. I look into his blue eyes and they are bloodshot. Derek is drunk and I cringe at his condition. I am so angry at him right now that I feel like slapping him hard.

"I am so so so so sorry....", Derek mockingly slurs and laughs out loud. The beautiful sound of his laughter fills my ears. He is so adorable when he is drunk. The childness in his tone and the huge grin on his face dissolves half of my anger.

Without any other word, Derek grabs hold of my hand and leads me inside the apartment. Josh quietly follows us and closes the door behind. The music is so loud and many disposable glasses are thrown on the wooden floor. A group of five boys are seated in the hall, each one smoking a cigarette. The apartment is painted in white and many music posters are stuck on the wall. Many white sashes kept on the table catches my eye and immediately I understand the entire situation. It takes every inch in me to stop myself from flushing the drugs in the closet.

Derek lets go off my hand and joins the other guys at the table. A guy in a brown hoodie keeps a white tube on the table and takes a snort of it. Derek laughs and gives a high five to the guy sitting next to him. The room is completely filled with smoke and I begin to cough.

"We need to leave Jazz. Your suffocating", Josh says and pats on my shoulder calmly. 

I try to register the entire situation. I have never seen anything like this in my entire life. Derek is even more toxic than I thought. Its so disgusting to see young college boys already into such dangerous things. The thought of Derek's mom and Isha makes my heart ache. Kay wanted to see her son, but I feel very happy that she didn't she him in such condition. Her little fragile heart couldn't stand to see her son in such a devastating condition.