Chapter 60

"Oh.. I totally forgot about the trip! I'll help you pack your bags", Aby says.

"No, I am not going anywhere", I say. I don't want Aby to feel guilty about visiting her parents when she gets to know that I've cancelled all my plans to be with her, to support her so that she doesn't feel alone.

"What!? But why?", She asks with a confused face.

"I..I..", I search for a reason but nothing actually clicks in.

"Don't lie to me Jazz. I know you've cancelled your trip for me. But don't do it. There's still time Jazz... you can fill my form and submit it early in the morning tomorrow", Aby suggests and I wrap my arms around her.

"I am not feeling to Aby. But don't worry about me and don't you dare feel guilty about me", I warn her.

"Then we can go somewhere else and do something crazy?", Aby raises her eyebrows at me.

"Aby.. I need you to go to San Francisco and meet your mom. Please? I will be ok... don't worry!!", I squeak a bit at the end and Aby gives me a firm look.

"Are you sure?", She asks.

"Oh yeah!", I fake a yell and Aby laughs.

We finish our dinners and I give Aby one final goodbye hug. She will be gone tomorrow before I wake up. The next ten days I will be completely alone in my apartment. No Aby, no Derek and no Josh. Aby doesn't have a car and I wonder how did she even spend her entire day in this apartment, all alone. But it must have felt good I guess.

I don't know why I refused to fill in Aby's consent form. She is leaving for San Francisco tomorrow and I can easily take her place in the trip. Derek also will be happy if I agree to go with him. I can even get a chance to see what has he planned for 'us'. But somewhere deep inside my heart, I am still not over Iris. I have no guarantee that I will not end up like her. Even if I go to New Jersey, I will not be able concentrate on the trip and be happy.

Keeping aside all my thoughts, I pull out my copy of Romeo- Juliet and begin to read. After turning few pages, I finally drift off to sleep.

..........

The next morning, I wake up with a groan. I hate being alone. Aby is gone already and the entire college will be on their way to New Jersey.

I have no idea what am I doing to do for the next ten days. Should I visit Texas or should I do something productive, instead of wasting my time whining? Probably, I should go with the second one. Bobby Build..yes,  I should check if they are open today.

I quickly stand up from the bed and pull out my phone from the drawer and begin to browse for the details. Tomorrow is the weekend and I should hurry up, if I have to get an appointment for today.

After several attempts, the call finally connects me to the receptionist.

"Hello. This is Bobby Build. How can I help you?", a female voice says over the phone.

I clear my throat before speaking, "Hey, could I have an appointment for today? My name is Jessie Damon."

"Ms. Damon, your appointment is fixed today at 11. Thank you", she  says quickly and hangs up.

Of course! there will be an urgency in such a huge firm. I immediately gather my toiletries and rush to the shower. In any case, I shouldn't be late for my appointment today.

After my peaceful shower, I pull out my best dress. I've always loved formals and today is a great day for me to look my best. I settle with a long black pencil skirt and a maroon top, with my hair tied up into a high bun. I apply light makeup and make sure not to wear high heels. Wedges will do ok.

After an hour of spending my time to get ready, I look into the mirror. From any angle I don't look like I have just got an appointment in the BB, instead I look like one of its employees. However, I sigh and grab my bag, walking towards the door.

Once I climb into the driver's seat, I look at my watch. Its 10 on the clock and I've got to hurry up if I need to make it on time. So, I turn off my phone and pull onto the highway.

I wonder what Derek must be doing now. Is he loving New Jersey? I shake my head and concentrate on the drive. I should be thinking only about my appointment right now. If I make it, then I will have my own job and hours of distraction from Derek.

Finally, after half an hour, I pull up in front of a huge glass building. The letters 'BB', is printed in big bold grey ink. I gulp looking at its massiveness.

The drive to the BB was easier than I thought. I was able to make my way, without the help of the maps and I am glad I did it.

I park my car in the parking slot and climb out. The security guard guides me up to the building and when I reach the reception, a tall blonde smiles at me.

"Hey! Ms. Damon?", the women smiles at me.

"Yeah", I say and nervously smile. I've never been in such situation before. So I don't know how to react or respond.

"Come on.. don't be nervous. Mr. Royston is waiting for you in his cabin", the women assures me and leads me to the cabin. She is sweet and supportive.

The office is not much crowded. There are several rooms on both the sides of the hallway. I look down to find the brown carpet covering the tiled floor. Its organized so well and I can't wait to get this job. At least an internship could do wonders to me and I wish I could even get paid for it.