Chapter 80

Texas:

I ring the doorbell in excitement and wait for it to open. After the second ring, Jen slowly opens the door and her mouth drops on seeing me on the other side. "Jazz! your here?", she asks, unsure about my presence.

I wrap my arms around her, "Jen I missed you!", I squeak. We come into the living room and dad looks up at me. "Jessie? Oh My God!", he jumps in excitement and pulls me into a hug.

"What are you doing here? Don't you have college today?", Dad asks.

"Its the weekend Dad!", Jen reminds.

"Oh my my", mom walks towards me from the kitchen. She gives me a warm hug and kisses my cheek. "Happy to see you here my baby..", she kisses my cheek again.

"Mom, stop babying me", I roll my eyes.

"What a sudden visit cub!", Jen shrugs.

"Well.. there is a prom night in NYU today, so that's why I am here", I explain.

"You're not going to the prom?", dad asks me.

"Yeah I am", I respond.

"The matter is that I wanted my date, to come here, meet you guys and pick me up tonight", I say and throw my hands up in the air. 

"My baby has a date tonight?", mom is way too excited than I am.

"Mom.. prom is all about having a date", I say and nod.

"When is he coming?", Jen asks.

"At 7 in the evening", I sigh- "Now please can we talk about something else", I practically beg.

"Ok, we can do that", mom pouts. I laugh at her and she goes on to kiss my cheek again.

I head to my room and place my clothes in the cupboard. "Is this the same boy who you love?" I turn around to see Jen standing near the doorway. 

"Jen, you scared me!", I sigh.

"Tell me is he Derek?", she asks.

"Yes!", I say in annoyance. Why is everyone so interested to know about my date?

"Thought as much", she teases me.

"So is everything ok between you two?", she asks.

"He took me on a cruise date yesterday", I say proudly.

"Cruise date? That's huge", Jen opens her mouth slightly.

"He makes me happy Jen", I finally say what she wants to hear.

"I am happy for you", Jen gives me a warm hug.

The rest of the day passes by. Mom prepares delicious apple puddings and I almost take three serves. I tell my family about my college and my new job at BB. "I am so proud of you", mom wipes her tears and praises.  

Its 5 on the clock and Jen takes a look at my new blue gown. "It looks so beautiful", she compliments. 

"Yeah I know. Thanks", I say.

"Let's get ready then?", she asks. Jen reminds me of Aby in someway. Aby would whine in the same way about getting ready for an event two hours before.

"Jen, we've got time", I say and roll my eyes.

"So?", she holds out the dress for me and I take it from her and whine. 

After spending almost an hour to get dressed, I look into the mirror. The blue gown looks so beautiful and the stone designs shine beneath the light. Jen helps me tie my hair into a high bun and she also does my eyebrows. The dark mascara and eyeliner goes well with the light contrast of my gown. Jen applies a thick layer of red lipstick onto my lips and curl up my eyelashes. I look just perfect for a prom night and I wonder if Derek will like my look. I pull out the small mask from my bag and whine. I hate these proms with masks, its just so suffocating. Why will anyone want their eyes covered in a prom? 

The silver mask matches with my outfit and I quickly step into my new white heels. "You look amazing cub!", Jen squeaks. I nod at her and smile, "Thank you."

"Will Derek like it?", I ask.

"Of course!", Jen says and presses a pair of long silver earing into my ears. 

"You are ready", she declares.

I look at the mirror for one last time. I clumsily remove my mask and hold it in my hand. "Why did you remove it?, Jen asks. "I will wear it in the campus", I say. She nods and leads me out of the room. Jen and I come downstairs. Mom's eyes widen when she sees me and dad is equally surprised. "Who is she?", dad mocks.

"She is your daughter", Jen mocks back.

"My baby is so grown up", Mom smiles and shakes her head in happiness.

"Thank you", I don't know what else to say.

Suddenly the doorbell rings and my heartbeat increases. Why didn't Derek call me before coming here? I don't want him to think that my family is overdramatic. He is so reserved in nature and it can be a bit of a trouble for Derek to adjust to my loud family.

"Is he here?", my mom grins. 

"Yeah, please, best behavior ok?", I practically beg.

"Ok, go on and open the door", dad shrugs.

"Jen, open the door", I order. 

"What? You need to do that", she says back at me. The doorbell rings for the third time. If I don't open the door now, Derek will not think twice before turning back and walking away. 

"Jen, please. Just welcome him inside", I sigh. I am just not prepared to face Derek.

"Ok", she says and rolls her eyes. Jen walks towards the door and reaches for the door handle. I take a deep breathe and wait for Derek to come in. She opens the door and smiles.

"Hey, its so good to see you here. Come in and sorry to keep you waiting", Jen steps aside gesturing Derek to enter inside. My heart thumps inside my body when I finally look at him. Derek is dressed in a black tuxedo and a small red bow tie is attached on the top of his shirt. His hair is neatly combed and his shoes are well polished. His lips are pink and it holds a small smile. I glance at Jen and mom, their mouth is wide open and I feel slightly embarrassed. Derek's eyes meets mine and he is astounded looking at my look.