Chapter 18

"I met your mom", I blurt out. I just don't know when to keep quiet. Derek's face tenses and his happiness is replaced by anger. I take a step back, when Derek clenches his fists at his sides. I have never seen him this angry before. There is no more room for me in this place and I take it as an indication to leave.

"You what...?", Derek's tone is suspicious and I see a new version of his anger. Derek walks to the lamp and lifts it off the floor and slams it against the wall, shattering it with a loud noise. I cover my ears and close my eyes. I have never seen such destruction before, my breathing raises and I feel scared to be around Derek.

Derek turns to look at me, "Why are you always hanging around me!? You met my mom and what did she tell? Did she tell she fucking loves me or did she wish me happy birthday!?", he yells. Tears roll down his cheeks and I feel terrible for him. I haven't seen him emotional, but I need to know what is wrong.

"Dear mom comes to wish her fucking son!", Derek looks at me and yells, "You need to fucking leave!." His voice echoes in the entire room and I don't waste my time fighting Derek. He is beyond angry and will not mind hurting me.

I reach out for the door handle and step out of the room. I close the door behind and walk back to the hall. Josh is standing near the main door and all other guys are passed out on the floor. I quickly walk towards Josh, grabbing his hand and leaving the apartment.

When we reach the car, I let out a breathe. "Your okay?", Josh asks looking at me. I climb into the passenger seat and put on my seat belt. Josh doesn't push me further and climbs into the car. My heart aches to leave Derek in the apartment all alone. But I have no other option. I wish Derek was able to talk about his problems, than yelling and breaking things in order to escape them.

"What did he tell?", Josh asks me. I thank Josh for waiting for me. He could've have left the apartment, but he chose to wait for me and that means a lot to me.

"Nothing.. we just spoke and then he began breaking things", I say, pain thriving in my chest.

"I did hear something break", Josh says and sighs. I worry if Josh heard our moans from the room. Derek is Josh's friend, but Aby warned me to stay away from Derek. In fact everyone around me except Josh, warns me against Derek.

We reach our apartment and Josh drops me off. I wave at him and walk upstairs. Aby opens the door for me and my mouth drops looking at our clean apartment. There are no dishes in the sink, no clothes hanging around and the floor is entirely neat and clean.

"Just a little cleaning won't hurt", Aby cringes her nose funnily and I smile. I give her a warm hug and it feels like I've just come back home. "Thank You", I say into her neck and she pats on my shoulder. 

I tell Aby about all the incidents that took place at Derek's apartment. Her mouth falls, when I tell about me and Derek.

"Jazz what the hell! I told you not to fall for him", Aby says. She is not judging me at all, but I can see a worry in her eyes. Do I really love Derek? I don't know what my feelings about Derek is, but I am sure that he does matter to me.

"I am sorry Aby. I just don't know what's happening and tomorrow I am going to meet Derek's mom", I say realizing that its the weekend tomorrow. Aby shakes her head, but gives me a warm hug.

Tomorrow I will get all my answers. I will ask Isha and Kay about Derek and why are they not together. Derek doesn't know that I am going to visit his mom tomorrow, so I guess there should be no problem. I text Isha and she messages me the address for tomorrow. She also offers to pick me up from my apartment and I can't thank her enough. 

Aby and I finish our dinner and watch a movie. During the entire time, I cant help but think about Derek. I want him to be happy with his family. The thought of him breaking things brings back my fear. I shake my head, to clear the thoughts and continue to watch the movie.

........................

The next morning, I wait for Isha. The sun is shining bright and the hot air hits my face. I am thrilled and excited to meet Derek's family. A white jaguar stops right in front and Isha waves at me. I quickly climb into the car and Isha pulls onto the highway. 

I am dressed in a knee length black frock with white sneakers and my hair is tied into a high bun. I bought some cookies for Kay and I hope she will like it. Manhattan is just an hour's drive from Brooklyn and I am happy that the roads are mostly clear.

"You look lovely Jessie", Isha says and looks at me. I thank her and she smiles. Her smile reminds me of Derek. What must he be doing for the weekend? Is he going to snort drugs the entire day? The thought makes me worry about him. I should make sure that Isha and Kay doesn't get to know about Derek's toxic habits.

"Derek is not going to be home for the weekend. He never comes to mom's house so your very much safe", Isha tells and I look at her. She is serious and not joking. Mom's house? Derek's mom and dad doesn't live together? As time passes, I am more and more curious to know about Derek and his family. Probably if I get to know about his problem, I can help him overcome all his addictions.

Isha pulls up in front of a not-so-big wooden house. We climb out of the car and walk towards the house. The gate holds a board with the word 'Roeksha ' written in bold letters and I don't understand the meaning of the word. Isha leads me inside the porch and rings the doorbell.

[ Any guesses what does Roeksha mean? ]