Chapter 81

I smile at him and look at Jen. She is already flattered by his looks and mom is busy cooking up her dreams in her mind. I come near Jen and nudge her shoulders with mine. "Stop staring", I complain. "He is so handsome", Jen sighs and smiles.

"Come in son, have a seat", dad offers. 

"Thank you", Derek says and sits down on the couch.

"I am so happy that you're here", mom squeaks and steps forward.

"Me too", Derek says in return. I know he is feeling uncomfortable and awkward by my family's presence, but I am happy that he is in his best behavior so far.

"Jazz, go get him some water", Dad looks at me and grins. I roll my eyes at him and take Jen along with me to the kitchen.

"What the hell is going on Jen?", I sigh in worry.

"What?", she shrugs.

"Mom and Dad are acting as if Derek is my husband!", I complain.

"He doesn't have any problem with that", she says.

"You don't know him. He is super moody. His mood swings are very dangerous and I am scared if he gets annoyed with mom and dad", I say and pout.

"I get it", Jen says and pours a glass of water for Derek.

We return back to the living room and I am surprised to see Derek laughing out loud. Jen gives me a questioning look and I shrug. She walks towards Derek and offers him a glass of water. He smiles and thanks her.

"You know then he just stole the apples from the neighbor without them notice", Mom says and laughs. What are they talking about? Derek is laughing or am I dreaming? His eyes meets mine and he smiles at me, "Your parents are very funny!", he says and continues to laugh.

"I think you guys are getting late for the prom", Jen says and looks back and forth between me and Derek. Seems like the clock has struck the time. Mom, dad and Derek comes back to reality and remembers about the prom.

"Oh.. you must be going then", dad says looking at Derek.

"Yeah", Derek stands up from the couch and walks towards me. He sits down on his knees and my eyes widen when he holds out his hand at me. "Will you be my date for tonight Jazz?", he asks and looks at me and turns back to glance at mom and dad. Is this really happening? My cheeks are flushed and I am smiling at his cute proposal. Even if it is for one night, I am glad to be his date. Mom and dad claps and Derek slightly blushes. I place my hand in his, "Yes, I will", I say and nod repeatedly. Jen gives me a hug from behind and Mom joins her hands together in happiness.

Derek stands up from the floor and looks at me, "Let's go then", he says and smiles. I nod at him and follow him to the front door. 

"Be careful", mom says and Derek holds my hand. He smiles at her and leads me out. A taxi is waiting for us and we quickly climb inside. I wave at my family for one last time before pulling onto the highway.

"I guess we'll be late", Derek says and places his hand on my thighs. 

"I guess so", I say and sigh.

After few minutes of silence, Derek speaks up, "I like your family", he says.

I look at him, "I am happy to hear that", I chuckle.

"Are you going to come back here?", He asks.

"No", I say. After the prom, I will head straight to my apartment. However, Aby has an extra key.

"Thank you for coming here", I say. Its too much for Derek to come this far from New York only to convince me to be his date for tonight. I am very impressed by him today and I cant thank him enough for doing such a big thing for me.

"I can do anything for you Jazz", he says and smiles. 

"Next time, whenever you decide to come to Texas, make sure you call me", Derek says and winks. I laugh and nod at him. I will really take his interests into consideration next time.

"What were you, mom and dad talking about?", I ask.

"She was telling me how your father once stole apples from the neighbors without asking them for permission", Derek laughs. Oh. This thing was supposed to be our little family secret. I never expected mom to tell Derek about it.

"Oh Ok", I simply say. Maybe I shouldn't give my family a hope. They don't know that Derek and I are never going to work. He is everybody's Romeo and will never be only mine. Giving them too much hope will make them very weak when they realize that nothing is real between me and Derek.

"What are you thinking?", Derek asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"How will the prom be?", I change the topic.

"Well, it will be good. First you have a raise a toast to Mr. Franklin- the chancellor of NYU", he says.

"Then?"

"Then, there will be a dance organized, there will be lot of drinks and there will be a lot of make out sessions", Derek chuckles and I giggle slightly.

"You will enjoy it", he assures me.

We finally reach the airport and board the flight. I know people must be really confused to see a passenger dressed in prom outfit board the plane. They must be definitely thinking that we're running away from our houses. 

...

New York:

Its 10pm and I feel slightly embarrassed to be late for the prom. The campus is decorated with bright lights and the students look way more classier tonight. All are in their masks, So I finally wear it and Derek does it too. "Hey" I look at a blonde approaching us. She is dressed in a red gown and her black mask looks good with her outfit. 

"Oh my God, Look at you!", she squeaks and I immediately recognize her. She is Aby. 

"Hey, you look good too Aby", I say and wrap my arms around her.

"Did the prom start?", I immediately ask her.

"No, not yet", She says and I sigh in relief. Prom nights doesn't follow the time, right?

"Hi", a tall, lean boy accompanies Aby from behind and I already know him. He is Richard Freddie.