Chapter 50

I get ready as quick as possible. My maroon frock looks stunning and I put on my sneakers. I apply a thin layer of mascara and tie my hair into a high ponytail. 

Today is the weekend and Aby has gone out with Josh to visit his parents in Washington. I really love the way they are taking their relationship to an higher level as each day passes. I quickly grab my car keys and lock the apartment.

The streets are busier than usual and the traffic is so heavy. I am annoyed by the time the it clears and quickly pull onto the highway. My drive to Manhattan is filled with thoughts about Derek. Will he be there? How will I react seeing him after such a long time? I am sure Derek will never step into his house. Probably he is the only one in this world who hates his own house. 

As I pull up in front of Kay's house, I feel nervous. My heart beats faster and I feel slightly unsure about entering the house. However, pushing away all my thoughts, I open the gate and walk towards the front door. I take a deep breath and press the doorbell.

Kay opens the door and her eyes widen when she sees him. "Oh my God!!!", she squeaks and hugs me tightly. I almost choke but I am happy to get such a warm welcome from her. When her eyes meets mine, I can see tears filled in them. Is she crying? 

"Come in dear..", she says and leads me inside. The house looks as beautiful and elegant as it was when I first visited it. The red carpets are neat, the curtains are soft and the bright yellow ceiling adds glamour to the house and the leather couches are perfectly arranged. The living room is empty and I look around searching for Isha. 

"Everybody is at the dining table. Join us for a small brunch?", Kay asks and I nod my head, smiling. I am really hungry and I know Kay is an amazing cook. I can get to eat some delicious food today. 

I follow Kay to the dining room. She looks so happy and I've never seen her this happy before. She looks even more prettier when she is happy. As we reach the dining room, my heart drops when I see Derek sitting next to Isha. They are busy playing some video game in the phone and doesn't seem to notice me. Derek and video game? What is he doing here? 

"Look who is here!", Kay squeaks and everyone looks at me. Mr. Dawson welcomes me with a pleasant smile and I return his smile back. Derek is not at all surprised. It feels like he actually expected me to be here. Isha runs over to me and gives me a warm hug.

"You've no idea what you have given us Jazz", Isha whispers and I am baffled. I don't know what's happening here. What did I do now?

"Take a seat dear", Kay pulls out a chair for me, next to Derek. I feel like all my courage is draining out. Sitting next to Derek makes me feel nervous and suffocated.

I try not to look at him. Isha and Steve looks at me with a small smirk. Kay starts serving pancakes and I can feel my mouth water. I wonder if I can meet Roseline today. She must be really happy to see her brother sitting with his family for a meal. When Kay comes near Derek, I look at her. Her eyes are watery and her wide smile covers her face. She looks so happy and so emotional at the same time. I remember Derek telling me about the incident on his sixteenth birthday, I felt Kay was cruel at that time, but now seeing her like this is definitely changing my opinions about her. She really loves her son a lot and nothing can change this. 

Kay places her hand on Derek's hair and gently caresses him. I can see him tense next to me, but he closes his eyes and lets out a breathe. I never knew Derek could even control his anger. I've always seen him venting it out on others. But this little effort of his means so much to me and his family. 

"Thank you for joining us Jessie", Steve says across from the table. I smile at him and nod. I am beyond happy to see Derek being so nice to his family. I always wish him happiness and I hope he begins to love his mother. 

The pancakes are delicious as I had assumed. We empty our plates in silence and I help Kay clean the table. We put the dishes into the dishwasher and I lean against the kitchen counter.

"I am happy to see you happy Kay", I say and smile. Kay looks at me, wiping her hands on the cloth. "Jazz, I cant believe you convinced Derek to come here. It means the world to me", Kay says and tears flow from her eyes. She wipes it off and smiles at me. Did I really convince Derek? He never agreed to me at all. What did he tell everyone then?

"Its fine", I say cluelessly. I don't know what else to say. I don't want the family to know about the problems between me and Derek.

"Isha.. you..", Derek's voice breaks my thoughts. I turn around to see Isha running towards me and hiding behind my back. She is laughing and I don't know what's happening. Derek enters the kitchen and walks near me. He doesn't look at me, instead he tries to reach Isha.

"No no Derek!!!", She squeaks and laughs, turning me along with her and using me as a shield against him. I laugh along with her and enjoy the game. Soon enough, Isha runs the other way back and Derek follows her. 

"Its been so long seeing him like this", Kay says and I can feel the pain in her voice. This change in Derek really makes me happy. 

After hours of talking to Kay about my college life and about Texas, I come to the living room and look at Derek. He is sleeping on the couch and I come near him. He looks so innocent when he is asleep. His hair falls on his forehead and I slightly push it back.