ooo

ooo"smoking kills, y'know?"

ooo
"smoking kills, y'know?"

__________

YOONGI NEVER REALLY EXPECTED TO GET INTO SMOKING. It was a bad habit he just happened to fall into. 15 years old and was already joking about lung cancer.

He flicked his lighter, eyes glued to the blue and red flame that sprouted from the tip. His cigarette hung from his lips, almost on the verge of falling from his lips. He was mesmerized by the tiny flame that danced in the chilly morning hair as he waited for the monorail. The cold didn't bother him as he sat in nothing but jeans and an oversized hoodie that he practically drowned in. It made him tinier than what he already was. He hated it. He wasn't tiny. He was fragile. Maybe that's why he started. So people wouldn't look at him like a baby. People who smoked looked intimidating.

His school bag sat between his legs. He dug around in it for his phone while simultaneously holding the lighter up, and lighting the cigarette that was still perched between his lips. The strong smell of smoke filled his nose and lungs as he inhaled. He found his phone at the bottom of the bag. He checked the time. 6:27 a.m. The train should be arriving soon.

Mornings were his favourite time of the day, even if he enjoyed sleep a little too much. Mornings were calm. People were still waking up, the sun hadn't even risen yet. Only a few select noises could be heard as families started their days, and things came to life. It was never too hot nor cold outside. However, Yoongi seemed to be immune to weather as he never wore a coat until it started to snow. He could go the whole month of November without once wearing his winter coat. He didn't freeze, and he didn't get sick. Some people thought he was crazy.

The only thing he didn't enjoy was the early risers that took the monorail into the city for work. he hated being wedged between other people as he caught a ride to school. He needed space, and often never found it during the ride. He also hated when people sat next to him in the morning and tried to strike up a conversation. this usually led to him putting his earphones in and taking an extremely long drag off of his cigarette. People could typically take a hint that the boy didn't want to be disturbed. It happened every morning on his way to school. It was almost routine.

Yoongi was lifting his headphones up to his ears when a voice rang out. "Smoking kills, y'know,"

If it hadn't been for the fact that the voice had been calming to listen to, Yoongi wouldn't have bothered to look up. His gaze drifted upwards to the boy who was standing maybe a foot away from him. He wore a white hoodie and jeans, and had pitch black hair. If it weren't for the rising sun, he would have never noticed the little black studs in his ears that blended in with his hair. He couldn't have been much older than he was. He gripped a backpack in one hand, and a jacket in the other. He offered Yoongi a sort of inviting and warm smile. There was no sign of judgement in his voice, nor was their any sort of curiosity as to why he might be smoking at such a young age. It was merely a statement.

"Maybe I want to die," Yoongi replied in a tone as equally as soft as the boy's. The corner of his mouth twitched upwards. He fought the urge to smirk at him.

"Edgy," was the response. Yoongi seemed slightly taken back as he sat up straighter in his spot on the bench. He tilted his head to one side, and that's when he noticed the small emblem on the jacket that he held.

"You go to Cheonggu?" he questioned. "I've never seen you around before,"

The boy glanced down at the jacket in his hand, and then back up at him. He gave him a more awkward smile. "I do now," he replied. "We just moved to the area,"

"So you're new here?"

"Yeah,"

The conversation fell dead as the boy continued to stand there awkwardly at Yoongi, who didn't seem to be paying him any more attention as he sucked on the end of his cigarette and blew smoke out into the morning air. He had placed one earbud in, and was going to add the other, when another voice – this one more childish – rang out. "Haneul! You were supposed to wait for me!"

A boy not much younger than Yoongi, came bounding up the steps of the monorail, and rushed over to the boy. He was dressed in the colours of the Deagu Middle School. He gripped onto the sleeve of his sweater and half glared, half pouted at him. "You were supposed to wait," he mumbled, rubbing his eyes tiredly.

"Sorry buddy," he murmured crouching down to the boys height. Yoongi turned his head away from the two, and once more went to put the remaining earbud in his ear.

"You know smoking kills you!" the little boy yelled out.

He sounded judgmental. Yoongi's eyes flickered towards him. He rose, grabbing his backpack in his hands.

"Jeon Jungkook!"  the older hissed. He glanced up at Yoongi, looking both apologetic and ready to defend his younger companion. "I'm sorry about my brother. He doesn't mean to offend you. Jungkook say you're sorry,"

The younger, visibly upset at being scolded, ducked behind his brother shyly.

"Sorry," he mumbled out.

Yoongi rolled his eyes with a smirk, took one last drag off his smoke and flicked it away as the monorail pulled up. He blew the smoke out and finally put his headphone in. "Good luck Newbie. Maybe I'll see you around,"

Haneul and Jungkook stood dazed as he disappeared onto the train, before they both hurried to jump on. "Hannie, who was that?" Jungkook whispered in his brother's ear as they took a seat.

Haneul shook his head.

"I don't know,"

new story, new vibes, new feels. get ready for a fucking rollercoaster of emotions y'all